Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Laserjet P2055dn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Windows 10 does not see the P2055dn printer online. This printer was just removed from a factory sealed box. The user manual shows windows OS support thru 8.1. I see and download new firmware but get an error during installation.  The install process asks to verify the RFU setting to be set to "on". I can not find any RFU setting in the menu structure. I do not know what an RFU setting is or how to set it. 

The firmware  file is ljp2050_Series_FW_Update_20141201_signed.exe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The suggested method does not address the issue. The printer I have came out of the box with a firmware datecode of 20100308.  With this firmware, the display menu does not have any access to "turn on"  RFU. When using a PC with windows 10 connected to the printer, the printer status is not visible to windows 10. The printer is seen as "offline" and an error message indicates the firmware file can not be sent. To get around the windows 10 communication issue, I found a PC with Windows 7  OS. The HP software download site had slightly different instructions to update the firmware. Although the instructions called for "turning on" RFU, and there still is no possible way to turn on RFU,  the new firmware was sent and accepted when I ignored the requirement to turn on RFU. The instructions did indicate to power off the printer and re-power it during the process.  

To be honest, I believe this was the key to enabling the firmware update, but during the many attempts, I cannot be sure of all the steps taken to make it work. The printer now has firmware datecode 20141201. It prints fro windows 7 and 10. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@CW30, Welcome to HP Support Community!

There are several Control Panel configurations that support configuring the Remote Firmware Upgrade settings.

1. Select Setup menu.

2. Select Service.

3. Select RFU.

ON – allows a firmware update to be downloaded to the printer

OFF – refuses firmware updates (can be changed to ON from within the firmware update utility)

OFF AND LOCKED – refuses firmware updates (can only be changed to ON from the product control panel)

Refer to the document HP LaserJet Printers and Multifunction Devices - How to Disable Remote Firmware Upgrades for help.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The suggested method does not address the issue. The printer I have came out of the box with a firmware datecode of 20100308.  With this firmware, the display menu does not have any access to "turn on"  RFU. When using a PC with windows 10 connected to the printer, the printer status is not visible to windows 10. The printer is seen as "offline" and an error message indicates the firmware file can not be sent. To get around the windows 10 communication issue, I found a PC with Windows 7  OS. The HP software download site had slightly different instructions to update the firmware. Although the instructions called for "turning on" RFU, and there still is no possible way to turn on RFU,  the new firmware was sent and accepted when I ignored the requirement to turn on RFU. The instructions did indicate to power off the printer and re-power it during the process.  

To be honest, I believe this was the key to enabling the firmware update, but during the many attempts, I cannot be sure of all the steps taken to make it work. The printer now has firmware datecode 20141201. It prints fro windows 7 and 10. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.