Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5545
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

So I'm having the dreaded "Paper Jam Error" when there is none. I've been through the fixes...the YouTube videos, the community help, etc. At first, I was only getting it using the printer via wifi from my laptop. Then my phone to printer app (HP Smart) started doing the same thing (also wifi). I was desperate, so I turned off the wireless (on the printer) and plugged the printer directly into the laptop - SAME PROBLEM. I know on other community chats that shouldn't be happening. 

Is this thing dead? I have updated all drivers, checked for other updates. made absolutely sure there really ISN'T a paper jam. I'm at my wits end, but don't want to buy another printer. HELP!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@jlbren2 

You are welcome.

Four years of service is likely pretty good for a printer of this type.

Good Luck with the new one.  Smiling.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@jlbren2 

@jlbren2 wrote:

So I'm having the dreaded "Paper Jam Error" when there is none. I've been through the fixes...the YouTube videos, the community help, etc. At first, I was only getting it using the printer via wifi from my laptop. Then my phone to printer app (HP Smart) started doing the same thing (also wifi). I was desperate, so I turned off the wireless (on the printer) and plugged the printer directly into the laptop - SAME PROBLEM. I know on other community chats that shouldn't be happening. 

Is this thing dead? I have updated all drivers, checked for other updates. made absolutely sure there really ISN'T a paper jam. I'm at my wits end, but don't want to buy another printer. HELP!!

"Could be dead".  ??

Your options are limited to the extent that what you have done likely covers at least most of what you can try.

Soime ideas...

The paper jam may not be "real" - that is, there may not actually be a tiny scrap of paper hiding inside the printer.

Check the "printer reset" option.

And, even if you have previously cleaned the paper feed rollers, take another "swipe" at this option in case some tiny bit of dirt or "stickiness" was missed.

Product introduced mid-2015

Although more modest printers in this price point can last longer than four years (assuming you purchased the printer when introduced), there is nothing to say the printer will do so. 

IF the printer does not recover and your current situation prevents purchasing a new printer, 

If you live in a metropolitan area where there are local printer repair shops,

Call a reputable local shop; describe the issue and ask whether this type of issue is worth having the printer checked.

Need or want more information?  Search for additional solutions...

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type

HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), User Guides, Product Information, more

HP ENVY 5545 e-All-in-One Printer

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

The first thing I did was assume it was a real paper jam, so I went through the roughly 17 steps to find any and all paper. Nothing. I followed the videos (official and then some). If there is a small piece, it's going to stay there. 

This "paper jam" error is popular, from what I can tell. But I've also had this thing since 2015, as you said, and it was a workhorse. I may have worked its gears off, so to speak. 

I loved this printer, and it just so happens that there was a deal today on its cousin, the 5055. Bought one and it is on its way. I just wanted to try everything before replacing it. 

I appreciate your help!

HP Recommended

@jlbren2 

You are welcome.

Four years of service is likely pretty good for a printer of this type.

Good Luck with the new one.  Smiling.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.