Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 6830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Officejet Pro 6830 has been recently replaced in warranty ("printhead problem" issue).

I've connected the new one (via wired LAN), obviously disconnecting and taking away the old printer, but upon opening the "HP Officejet Pro 6830" software I've been asked to choose between one of the two printers seen by the software.

So I tried to find a way to delete the printer no more connected, but the HP software doesn't allow for such operation.

Then I managed to eliminate it from the Windows Control Panel > Printers, but this didn't affect HP software behaviour: it continues to see two printers.

Then again I went on the hard line: uninstalled all the HP software, cleaned all temp files & the registry (using CCleaner) and reinstalled all from scratch.

But imagine what... the phantom printer is there again!!!

At this point, any suggestion will be really appreciated.

Overall, I'm very disappointed with this product, about both hardware and software:

Talking about hardware, I've faced two replacements in 18 months.

Talking about software, the problem seen today is not the only one: the worst is that, during normal operation, the printer looses connection to the LAN after 30/40min from power on and it is unable to reconnect it by itself, nor by using the "Print and Scan Doctor" utility, so everytime I need to scan a document I have to power cycle BOTH the printer and the PC !!! (software kept updated, but problem never addressed)

On the under hand, HP support is brilliant, since communication and replacement logistic is really fast and effective.

Too bad the original product quality, according to my experience, is under the standards expected for the brand.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hey there! @RickyGold, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand you have issues connecting your printer to your printer.

Don't worry I'd love to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Have you tried checking with a different ethernet cable?

Please try the steps recommended below.

Try these tips and procedures to help troubleshoot and avoid wired network connectivity issues.
Restart the printer and the computer: Restarting the computer and the printer can clear possible error conditions.
Confirm the network connection: Confirm that your printer is connected to the wired network by checking the cable and the lights on the printer’s Ethernet port. The green link light should be steady, and the orange activity light should blink when the cable is connected.
Check the cable: Examine the Ethernet cable attached to the rear of the printer to make sure that it is not a phone cable (Ethernet cables and phone cables look similar but are different sizes).
Reconnect the cable: Disconnect and then reconnect the Ethernet cable to the rear of the printer, and then plug the cable into another valid port on the router.
Try a different cable: Try connecting a different Ethernet cable.

Refer this article to know more information about how to setup wired Network Printer Setup.

If the issue still persists, please uninstall the printer software from the root level and install the printer software.

1. Navigate to Start >Type Devices and Printers in the Search > Select it from the results

2. Highlight your printer object and Right Click

3. Choose Remove Device

4. Highlight something else from the list

5. Click the Print Server Properties button from the toolbar

6. Select the Drivers Tab

7. Highlight the appropriate print driver

8. Click Remove

9. Check the Remove Driver and Driver Package option when prompted

10. Click OK

Refer this article to know more information about uninstalling printer software from your PC.

Update the printer software using this link.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.