Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Photosmart 5510
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Facing a common issue with this model, where after changing the ink the screen gets stuck on "Used or Counterfeit Cartridges" and leaving me unable to press OK. Tried the recommended reset instructions, turn on printer, turn off and remove power socket while printer is on, wait 60 seconds and try again after connecting plug. 

Even tried initiating firmware update but it only gives the error saying printer is busy.

Can I get instructions to properly fix this please?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@sean30

Welcome to HP support community.

Clean the ink cartridge and printhead contacts

1. Remove an ink cartridge from its slot.

2. Wipe the copper-colored contact on the ink cartridge with a lint-free cloth.

Copper-colored ink cartridge contact

3. Place the ink cartridge to the side, with the contacts facing upwards.

4. Wipe the contacts inside the printhead with a lint-free cloth.

The printhead contacts

5. Slide the ink cartridge into its slot, and then press down on the ink cartridge until it snaps into place.

6. Repeat these steps for other ink cartridges, if necessary.

7. Close the ink cartridge access door.

Refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Sandytechy20

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately I am still getting cartridge empty/counterfeit error page and trying to press the OK button is still unresponsive. Is it a hardware problem with the screen or a software problem?

HP Recommended

@sean30

This seems to be a hardware issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.