Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Photosmart C7280
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Error code 0xc18a0001 - Ink system failure - is persistent.

I cleared the error by going through *+#, 123,  System Configure Menu (+OK), Clear hardware status status (+OK),  turn OFF and turn ON... and the error comes back...

I have had this error before and could clear it, but not this time.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi! @WSpruyt, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you are getting an error there is a problem with the printer or ink system on your printer.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps before reaching out to us.

Please try the steps recommended below.

Follow these steps to reset the printing mechanism.

Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.
Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
Wait at least 60 seconds.
Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
   NOTE:
HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.
Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot ink system errors.

Also, refer this article to further troubleshoot 0x errors on your printer.

I'll keep an eye out for your response.  

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Mr Robot, your solution did not help (and I tried it before I posted my problem).

My search on the worldwideweb revealed different solutions.  A number of them did not solve my problem.

However, I did fix the problem, although it is not clear to me which actions actually resolved.

One of the actions I did (with the help of 2 other hands with 10 fingers (4 fingers + 1 to turn printer off, is difficult for just one person):

"...

Try holding down the OK -- cancel -- black -- color buttons with 4 fingers while at the same time powering the unit off. Keep them held down till it is off. Then turn it back on normally & it should try to do "Maintenance" & you hear a whirling noise --- that is the ink pump spinning to try & pump in ink to the print head.

...".

HP Recommended

after turning printer off and on again ii'm able to print a few items then i get the error message again

HP Recommended

I would suggest to keep repeating the action(s) I did (you will need at least 2 hands) and that solved the problem (although I cannot explain why), that is, I assume you did all the action(s).

Willy

HP Recommended

Here's what I did to fix the problem.
It may work for you!
First check all the ink cartridges to ensure they have enough ink. My Light Cyan was almost empty!
I first tried the turning off and them back on. Unplugging the power cord with the printer on and waiting 60 seconds etc. None of them worked for me.

This is what did work:
Press Cancel to cancel the ink system error to get a normal screen.
Press * and # on the key pad simultaneously.
Display shows: MFG Commands: Enter special Key Combo
Enter 123
Display shows: uiaux: VixxFN0724AR
Press the RIGHT arrow three times on the square pad (next to OK)
Display shows: System Configuration Menu
Press OK
Display shows: uiaux: hardware failure status
Press OK
Display shows: uiaux: hardware failure status: Clear. Press OK to clear
Press OK
Display shows: uiaux: hardware failure cleared. Press CANCEL to continue.
Press CANCEL 3 times

You're now back to the normal Welcome screen.

Press SETUP
Press the down arrow and scroll down to the TOOLS menu
Press OK
Scroll down to the Clean Print head
Press OK

Wait a couple of minutes while the Ink System is purged and the print head cleaned.
If you are “in luck” then the printer will print off a test page including coloured blocks at the bottom.

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Get the same error message Ink System Failure 8a0101

HP Recommended

What have you tried to fix the problem?
Have you tried what worked for me?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.