Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Photosmart A536
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So according to this list,  this printer is not supported on Windows 10. Are there any future plans to get this family of printers to work or is it a throwaway device?

It still works well, my work around has been to put stuff on the SD card and print from its small screen, but that is a crappy workaround.

Is there a possibility for it to function in the future on Win 10?

Does HP offer a credit or trade-in if I have to buy a similar more current device?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@MarcVIII
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

To get the answer to this question, Yes! it is possible by installing and using the Windows Built-in Print Driver.

Windows contains built-in print drivers for many types of printers. These drivers support basic printer functionality for most print jobs: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01796879

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Windows built-in is not recognizing the printer on either USB port trying two known working printer USB cables. The printer mini screen prompts to install drivers, but the computer doesn't do anything / see an install driver. As I pointed out this printer is not on the Win 10 compatibility list.

I tried installing HP Easy Start, that does not recognize the printer in either USB port either. When following its onscreen prompts, I get to the "getting your printer connected using USB" with only a back button and no way to move forward.

When unplugging the USB from the computer, it makes the noise "sensing" a new device has been detected, but doesn't result in any prompts. So neither Win 10 auto-detect/ manual add new printer nor control panel refreshing of USB or printer devices seem to find this Photosmart A536. Manually attempting to install it from its internally saved driver prompt, (the device is recognized as a CD Drive in Win Explorer) and it opens a screen that pushes to this broken link: http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=S-001&h_lang=en&h_cc=us&h_product=3542169&h_page=hpcom...

HP Smart also does not find it (nor does it find my other HP printer which the other software finds and functions). I've tried only having one and both printers connected concurrently to see if it will "see" either.  The circle spins, but kicks you back to search again.

Control Panel - Devices and Printers sees it as a CD Drive.

HP Recommended

@MarcVIII

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the exact same issues.

Echo Lake, can you please have the Team contact me with instructions as well.

Thank you

HP Recommended

For what it's worth, there were attempts to resolve by HP, but I still don't have this working as it should on my computer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.