Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 6968
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am using an HP Officejet Pro 6968. As soon as I install the HP software basic driver (OJ6960_Basi64_40.11.1150.exe)(Using Windows 10 Professional) the print spooler subsystem app consumes between 15-20% cup resources. I tried uninstalling and installing several times. I also just tried installing the HP smart print app and the same thing occurs. I would like any suggestions to reduce the cpu resources with using HP software

Thanks,

Terry

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @terry1337

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the  "Printer drivers 15-20% of the CPU space" issue. 

First, let's uninstall the drivers from your computer-

uninstall the printer software from the root level on your PC and install the full feature printer software.

--->In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
--->Select your HP printer.
--->Select Uninstall.
--->In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
--->In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
--->Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
--->Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
--->Click on the Drivers tab.
--->Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom.
--->Select OK.
--->Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
--->Close Devices and Printers.

--->uninstall the HP Smart App from programs

And then reinstall the printer full-featured drivers from Software and drivers page(install HP Easy start which is under Software-utility)

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the instructions, but they did not help.  I fully followed the instructions and the spooler subsystem still consumes cpu resources at a rate14-15% while not using the printer. As soon as I turned the printer on it  was at 25-26%. Do you have any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

Uninstall the drivers and install the printer with windows built-in drivers.

Refer to -Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

I followed the instructions and installed the Windows driver. It seems to be using higher resources only when printing, what you would expect. The issue now is I could not print duplex. Is there a fix for this or does the Windows driver limit the functions of the printer?

HP Recommended

I ran into another issue. Sometimes the print job gets stuck in the queue and will not print.

HP Recommended

Refer to this document to duplex print-How to Print on Both Sides of the Paper (Windows)

Try the steps below to resolve Prit Job stuck in Queue-

The printer cannot print from a computer because a print job is stuck in the Windows print queue. This stuck print job cannot be cancelled or deleted and prevents further print jobs from printing. Clicking Cancel on the job in the queue, does nothing.

Figure : Example of a stuck job in queue that cannot be cancelled

Image:  The Windows print spooler window showing a document with the status of "Deleting".

This issue can occur due to a variety of reasons, such as power outages, but always involves the print job spooling process in Windows.

To resolve this problem, perform the steps in this support document to reset your printing environment.

Check printers IP address in Windows port settings

Check the printer's IP address in Windows port settings to make sure it's the same as the printer's IP address.

1. Right-click on the printer icon and select Printer Properties.

2. Click the Port tab, and then click Configure Port.

Figure : Example of the Ports tab

Image: Ports tab
  3. In the Printer Name or IP Address field, make sure the IP address is the same as the printer.

Figure : Example of the Port Settings menu

Image: Port Settings menu
  4. If the IP address is incorrect, correct it with the proper IP address and click OK.

5. Close the Properties window.

Delete job files and restart the print spooler

Whenever a print job is sent to the printer a file is created in Windows. Sometimes these files become corrupt and cause problems. To properly reset your printing environment, delete these print job files manually and restart both the computer and the printer.

NOTE: 

Restarting PC or the printer spooler cancels all the jobs from other printer as well, so make sure all the printers installed in the PC are idle or wait for them to complete the printing.

1. Turn off the printer using the power button.

2. Search Windows for run, and click the Run Windows application in the list of results.

3. Type services.msc in the Run window, and then press Enter on the keyboard.

The Services menu opens.

4. Right-click Print Spooler and select Stop.

Figure : Example of stop selection for Print Spooler Service

Service window the Print Spooler service selected from the Name list and the Stop selection called out.
  5. After the service has been stopped, close the service window and use Windows Explorer to browse to C:\Windows\System32\Spool\PRINTERS.

6. Delete all files inside the PRINTERS folder.

7. Restart your computer.

8. Turn on your printer.

9. Try printing again and note what happens.

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

I can clear the queue.

When I try to print from Microsoft Access and open the printing shortcuts I have factory defaults, general everyday printing, photo printing with white borders, photo printing borderless. No duplex printing short cut. So when I click on layout tab I cannot print on both sides boxes are greyed and cannot be checked. I also cannot choose on the drop down print on both sides to edit the current shortcut(all are padlocked). Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Terry

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.