Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Universal Print Driver
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 (64-bit)

Universal Print Driver PCL6(v61.190.1.21178)

Driver Isolation - Shared

Server 2008 R2

Rundll32 process appears to consume memory and not release it. The process that appears to be growing, but not terminating is as below:

rundll32 C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\x64\3\hpmsn190.dll,MonitorPrintJobStatus /pjob=6043 /pname"<printer>"

Have upgraded to this version of driver from an older version of the same driver but still the issues exist. This affects multiple printers but tends to only be one at a time until quick fix is actioned*.

*Quick fix was to kill the process, restart the print spooler service which works, but it appears as though the next time a printer utilising this driver is used, the rundll process starts again and grows until it eventually kills the server.

Having researched the MonitorPrintJobStatus portion of the above command line, I have discovered several forums that have suggested setting the "SSNPNotifyEventSetting" key to "0" under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\<printer>\PrinterDriverData" but this particular key does not appear to exist for any of the printers using the same driver. Furthermore, all of the articles that they refer to no longer exist. I'm not one to act blindly based purely on what has been listed on a forum but if HP have released a fix, or instructions for ensuring that this rundll process will be terminated/disabled, I would love to hear from you! I'd be happy to provide further information relating to this issue if required!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended
Hi BoltonBobby,

We have the same problem in our canon brand printers. We have not found a solution to the problem. Did you solve the problem yourself?
HP Recommended

Hi Gurkankaramaz,

We tried several things but the combination that ultimately led to us resolving the issue was:

1. Install the latest version of the driver and ensure that all appropriate printers were set to use it.

2. Set the following; Went into printer properties (for each printer utilising the driver) > Device Settings >  Installable Options > Printer Status Notification: Disabled

3. Restarted Print Spooler

I'm not sure if this will help in your scenario but we no longer get the lingering rundll process that appears to grow indefinitely until manually killed and the print spooler restarted.

HP Recommended

Hi BoltonBobby,

Thank you for your answer. We are testing the new drive and testing it. I hope it will be solved.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.