Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Office jet pro 8710
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

The printer was working just fine via wireless connection. MacBook did a software update and now the laptop won't recognize the printer. Printer is still connected to the network and works when I connect using a cable. HP easy install driver doesn't work and every troubleshooting method I've used doesnt work and I've tried everything HP said to try. I called Apple and they ran test and said it wasn't the laptop that was the problem. I've tried restart, unload and reload driver and software, factory reset and I get the same message. Device not recognized.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Dstar007,

It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

I recommend you follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

https://hp.care/2rzcIJY

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@Dstar007,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

This is a wonderful place to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips.

I reviewed your post and understand that the printer is not getting recognized on the computer.

I'll be glad to help you 🙂

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details.

• When was the last time the printer was working fine?
  • Are you able to print wirelessly from other devices?

Meanwhile, I recommend you follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

https://hp.care/2i8jq93

Let me know how it goes. Awaiting your reply!

If the solution provided helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The printer last worked through wireless a couple of weeks ago. I don't use it everyday. I have not connected to any other devices because I have no use to print anything from my phone. 

HP Recommended

@Dstar007,

Thank you for the information.

I recommend you follow the steps provided in the article in my last post and I am positive it will fix the issue.

Let me know how it goes.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried all the troubleshooting methods you sent me. When I typed the printers IP address in the browser, the message says it can't be found because the server where the page is located isn't responding. When I try to reset the printer system or delete the printer and hit the add button to add the printer, it says Unable to Verify Printer and unable to connect printer _ipps._tcp.local due to an error but it doesn't tell me what the error is. 

HP Recommended

@Dstar007,

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the
Dashboard, and then touch ( Setup ).
2. Touch Network Setup.
3. Touch Restore Network Settings.
A message appears stating that the network defaults will be restored.
4. Touch Yes.
5. Print the network configuration page and verify that the network settings have been reset.

Then run the wireless setup wizard again to connect the printer to your network.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Tried this and it still says Printer not recognized although on the printed wireless network test results it says "no problems found and the wireless is on and the signal strenght is very good. There is nothing apparently wrong with the printer connecting to the network. It appears the problem is the computer has changed somehow, probably through the last software update and is now unable to read the printer.

HP Recommended

@Dstar007,

It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

I recommend you follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

https://hp.care/2rzcIJY

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I followed these latest instructions and downloaded HP Easy Start (again). I have tried the easy start driver and software this past week probably 20 times and every time it pulled up the initial printer Icon but when I hit the continue button, it always said "printer not recognized". However, this version of HP Easy Start must be different than the one I tried on previous attempts because this version actually worked.  I wish I had this version last week because it would have saved me a lot of time and trouble. Did someone accidentaly put in the wrong version of HP Easy Start for the 8710 ? Just curious. I now have a working WIRELESS printer. Thank you for your dedication and not giving up !!!

HP Recommended

@Dstar007,

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that! 

I am not sure which version of easy start you were using and how you downloaded that.

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.