Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Laserjet CM4730MFP
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I'm having issues with my Laserjet [edit]running on Windows 10.  I recently had to re-install the driver, and I now get the following message: "Manually feed UNKNOWN A4.  To use another tray, touch "OK"  Load the tray with the requested paper, or touch "OK" to select another tray."  This comes up between every print job, and the printer has also stopped processing double-sided jobs.  Any advice would be appreciated, as it is driving me potty!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you are using the latest UPD printer driver (6.7.0), it might be the same problem as in the following thread:
After updating to UPD v6.7.0.23989, Users are prompted with "Manually Feed Unknown Letter"

The workaround seems to be that one has to specify the paper type instead of leaving it unspecified.

This has not been the case for earlier UPD driver versions, which indicate some kind of bug in this version. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

If you are using the latest UPD printer driver (6.7.0), it might be the same problem as in the following thread:
After updating to UPD v6.7.0.23989, Users are prompted with "Manually Feed Unknown Letter"

The workaround seems to be that one has to specify the paper type instead of leaving it unspecified.

This has not been the case for earlier UPD driver versions, which indicate some kind of bug in this version. 

HP Recommended

Brilliant!  Thank you for pointing me towards that.

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for taking the time to post this info!  I've been walking down two flights to the printer to manually print since installing the UPD 4 months ago!   

My LaserJet 4050 is 22 years old, but it works fine so see no need to replace it... 

HP Recommended

Maybe an update on this subject could be of interest?

In UPD 6.8.0, (Released in June 2019), this issue has been fixed.

"Fixes/Key Issues Resolved HP UPD 6.8.0

• Manually Feed Unknown A4 after updating UPD v6.7.0"

HP Recommended

First of all, it's just frustrating that some "genius" at HP decided to add this manual feed that very few people use at the expense of every other user.

This is what I found to work for me (in addition to the settings that I configured on the printer's web interface; see attachmentmanual feed.PNG

😞

Change Paper Type to "Plain" under Preferences (Right-click on the printer icon -> select "Printer Properties" -> Preferences -> Change Paper Type from "Unspecified' to "Plain")

Treat people with kindness. It never hurts to be the nice guy once in a while as long as you understand the difference between "Mr. Nice Guy" and a Gentleman
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.