Intern
34 2 2
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Printer Installation Error

Deskjet 3630 series AIO printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I am communicating on behalf of my daughter who purchased the above printer in Feb. 2016.  It has worked as expected until a couple of weeks ago when it stopped printing.. It still scans OK and is connected to her laptop by USB cable.  I have tried a few times to re-install the software with both the installation disk and on line but it keeps failing.  During recent attempts I get a message on line "Installation Error 3: Failed to copy Port Monitor Files".   During one of my earlier attempts I saw a message which, as I recall, referred to (Drivers?)something being blocked by NT 4.0   I have not seen that message repeated however.

I have googled possible solutions but they are many and varied and mostly complicated so I have not tried any as yet.

Has any one knowledge of a solution that is tried and tested that they would like to share?  Many thanks.

13 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
11785 634 795
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@gordon99

Welcome to HP forums, I see that you are getting an error while installing the printer driver.

Unregister and reregister the Windows Installer Service

1. Search Windows for run, and then select run from the list of results.

The Run dialog box opens.

2. In the Open box, type msiexec /unregister, and then click OK.

3. Open the Run dialog box again.

4. In the Open box, type msiexec /register, and then click OK.

5. Try to install the printer software again.

• If the issue persists, and you have the MSI.MSI_BPD_Scan or 2203 errors, continue to the next step.

• If the issue persists, and you have the MSI.DOT4wrp or 2753 errors, skip to the step to temporarily enable full permissions.

Reregister the ATL.DLL file

Reregister the ATL.DLL file to install the printer software.

1. Search Windows for run, and then select run from the list of results.

The Run dialog box opens.

2. In the Open box, type regsvr32 C:\windows\system32\atl.dll, and then click OK.

3. Try to install the printer software again.

Temporarily enable full permissions for the Program Files folder

1. Open Windows Explorer or File Explorer.

2. Click C: (or your hard drive).

3. Right-click Program Files, and then click Properties.

4. In the General tab, click the read-only check box to deselect it if necessary.

5. Click Apply, select Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files, and then click OK.

6. Try to install the printer software again.

Perform a level 3 uninstall

A level 3 uninstall is a more comprehensive uninstall than performed in previous steps.

Make sure to save and close any files before performing these steps.

1. Search Windows for util, and then select the util folder from the list of results.

The folder opens in Windows Explorer or File Explorer.

2. Make sure the folder is for the printer you are trying to install. In the address bar, you should see your printer model and software version, such as OJ6500vE709_Full_14.

3. Double-click the ccc folder.

4. Double-click the Uninstall_L3.bat file.

The utility uninstalls the software and prompts you to restart the computer.

Download and install full feature driver for the printer

Click here to download the driver.

Let me know how it goes.

If this helps, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
34 2 2
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Sandytechy  20,

Thank you for your suggestions,  Unfortunately I could not get any to work.   I saw no reference to 2203 or 2753 errors.  The error message I keep getting when I run the printer install software is "Installation Error 3.  Failed to copy Port Monitor files".   Another message I have seen is " Printer Driver not compatible with policy enabled on your computer that blocks NT 4.0.   Yet another message said "Windows can.t install the HP Deskjet 3630 series kernal mode printer driver.  To obtain a driver that is compatible with the version of Windows you are running contact the manufacturer".   I was unable to do a Level 3 Uninstall as I could not locate the utils folder using File Explorer.  Probably due to my lack of know how. 

My daughter's laptop has Windows Pro O/S with all the updates.  If I were to hazard a guess it may be because of a recent update that the printer is now misbehaving.   I have the installation disk that came with the printer that I have used without success and I have also downloaded and used the 123.hp DJ3630 installation website for attempts to install printer software.

If you have any further suggestions I would be pleased to hear from you.  Just to repeat what I have said in my first message, the printer has been working as expected until recently.  However my daughter uses the printer quite infrequently.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
15960 1049 1721
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@gordon99,

It looks like you were interacting with @sandytechy20, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 
I'm the Jeet_Singh & I'm at your service. 

As I Understand you seem to be having difficulties with the windows 10 creator's update as it isn't installing the drivers for your hp printer,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Have you deleted the drivers and attempted to reinstall them?

Did you attempt installing the windows built-in drivers?

Here's a Microsoft link which seems to have helped others: Click here

While you respond to that, here's a few things you can do:

I recommend you delete the driver at the root level and retry, follow the steps below: 

In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2.) Select your HP Printer 

3.) Select Uninstall 

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose `Delete' or `Remove Device' 

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s") 

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab 

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10.) Select Ok 

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12.) Close Devices and Printers 

And then install the drivers using the instructions on this link: Click here

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
34 2 2
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Jeet.  Thank you for your reply.  i should explain that I live about 200 miles from my daughter but I was with her for a few days until Monday 8th October when I returned home.  I looked at her update history when i was with her and did not notice any reference to the Creator Update which I believe is version 1809.  I understand this is a very recent update (October 2018) and the printer problem pre-dates this.  I will now need to use Team Viewer to remote control her laptop in order to try out your advice and it will probably take me a couple of days or so to do this.  I will report back how I get on.  Regards,  gordon99

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12360 1161 2305
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@gordon99,

Thanks for responding. It is great to have you back. As@Jeet_singh is out for the day, I am responding on his behalf. Please try these suggested steps at your convenience and let us know how it pans out.

Thanks and have a blessed week ahead.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
34 2 2
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello David SMP,

I had a try to follow the giudance from Jeet, using Team Viewer, but fell at the first hurdle.   I couled not uninstall the printer software.  All I got were the following messages: 

1) "Error 2147467259  Failed to find Driver Packages to process".   When I click "OK" I get another message as follows:

2) "Install Custom Actions;  copy monitor port files.  3= Copy File  (Src; C:\program files\HP\HP deskjet 3630 Series\Bin\HP Disco PME311.dll Dist. C:\Windows\System32\HP Disco PME311.dll)".

I am afraid I have no idea what these messages are telling me that will explain why I can't uninstall the printer software.  

Can you please assist me?  

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
11785 634 795
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@gordon99

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

I understand that you are unable to uninstall the printer software.

Use third-party applications like REVO uninstaller to uninstall the printer driver.

Let me know if that works.

If this helps, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
34 2 2
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Sandytechy20,

I found a way to uninstall printer software that seemed to work after i posted my previous message.  The program is on the web from Microsoft.  It is titled  "Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed".   I now have to try to install the printer once again using a procedure from this Forum or maybe one from Windows 10 Forum.   I will report back when I have tried, but as I said in an earlier message, I am having to work on my daughter's Acer laptop through Team Viewer as I am now back home rather than at her place.

Regards,

gordon

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12360 1161 2305
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@gordon99,

I have reviewed the case and thanks for the quick reply. As @sandytechy20 is out for the day, I am responding on his behalf. Your efforts are appreciated greatly. Please try the steps and get back to us with the results. Good luck.

Thanks and have a blessed week ahead.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation