Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Office Jet 4655 AIO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am having repeated problems with Windows 10 (on my Zoostorm PC) stopping unexpectedly when I communicate wirelessly with my printer.  The PC will restart after the crash and attempts will be made to purge the print queue.  Often Windows will crash before that process is complete and it will repeat the restart and eventually purges the print queue.  If I attempt to cancel the print job through print manager during this sequence then Windows will crash.  Once the sequence is complete the PC will be stable for all other tasks until the next time I try to print (once or twice a month).  I can send jobs to the printer wirelessly without problems from another PC (Windows 7 laptop).

I also keep getting repeated messages telling me that I cannot "scan to device" - the message says connection has been lost.  I usually just close this message and carry on and at some stage I will get a message saying that scan to device has been enabled, until I get the lost connection message again.  I don't know if this is related to the printer problems.

I have tried to run the HP Print & Scan Doctor (v 5.3) - the first time it detected an issue and invisibly fixed it (I think this was an update - I had previously attempted to uninstall and re-install the printer), but now it tells me that everything is working. correctly.

I note that the PC reliability history tells me "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 (0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 91e6f4df-698d-4ddf-b04e-2b33b1b07afc." I have copied the MEMORY.DMP file and a  minidump file with date 24/01/2020 to one drive at https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkmbOJLLvCgGmGllXitRUk86gTWb.  The other files in that location dated 13/10/2020 also relate to crashes that seems to occur when printing.

I would be grateful for any help and advice you can offer.

Regards & TIA, Vic

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It is indicates you have problem with Windows files, so this can be very long but I recommend to you try to repair this using this command in cmd:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

If I have been answer to your question please accept it as a solution 🙂
I am Expert from French Community, and I am doing my best to help you with your question.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Hello, if your PC crash only when you are using your printer, I recommend to you begin by uninstall totally your printer from this PC. 

For this, right clic on your start menu, go to "apps and feature", and clic on all softwares regarding your printer for uninstall. 
When all will be uninstalled, enter "devices and printer" in your Windows search box, and go to it. Right clic on all devices regarding your printer for uninstall it. 

After this, reboot your PC and tell us if your PC works correctly. If yes we will can to reinstall your printer, using this driver: Download

I am Expert from French Community, and I am doing my best to help you with your question.

HP Recommended

Hi, Fanordi,  Thanks for your response and advice.

I have a slight problem with following your suggestions.  I have attempted to uninstall and re-install previously, but during the uninstall I got a message that said I needed to be in the Administrators Group to be able to complete the process - I am, but the app failed to uninstall. However, I did it the opposite way round to your advice, i.e. disabled printer before trying to remove app' so I will give it another try and see what happens .

Vic 

HP Recommended

Please tell me the results, if you are sure from what you are doing, you can try to activate the "super administrator" account: 

https://www.iseepassword.com/blog/activate-super-administrator-account-in-windows-10/

HP Recommended

Hi Fanordi,

Sometimes things are easy, sometimes there not! 

I have Windows 10 Home edition.  After searching and not finding "secpol.msc" I have just found out that it is not included in the Home edition.  I have seen posts that recommend downloading gpedit.msc, but also warnings saying that it won't actually apply any policies in the Home edition and suggesting going through the registry.

I have not read through that post yet - but in meantime do you have any comments?

HP Recommended

Hi again!

While I was writing last post the search was still running and it did eventually find secpol.msc, but when I tried to run it I got the message "MMC could not create the snap-in"

HP Recommended

The second solution was working on Windows 7 Home Premium so you can try.. 

HP Recommended

It is appears to be from the registry:

https://www.zerodollartips.com/mmc-could-not-create-the-snap-in-windows-10/

HP Recommended

Sorry, its me again!

So since secpol.msc didn't seem to work I tried the Command Prompt route as per the post and that appeared to be successful but when I tired to uninstall I still got the 'must be member of administrator group'.

After typing the command "net user administrator /active:yes" I got the "The command completed successfully" message but are there any other steps to take?  - why was I not recognised as a member of the Administrator group?

Regards,

Vic

HP Recommended

You need to close your session and connect you to the "super-administrator" account you have activated. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.