Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I cannot find the driver for samsung xpress sl c480 to work with Catalina,

HP Recommended

I've the same problem with my Deskjet 1050A J410 printer after installing the latest available official drivers from Apple.

Even with macOS 10.15.1 the device fails to communicate with my 2014 mac mini. I've tried using another USB cable and resetting the printing system with no avail; I keep getting a message saying "waiting for printer to become available" followed by a nasty "communication failure" error which occurs everytime a print job is canceled.

For now only the scan function is working.

Had no problems with the Officejet 3836 Advantage wireless AIO. I'm really annoyed since Apple no longer offers compatible drivers for legacy HP printers.

HP Recommended

Same here, printer is unable to print documents. I never encountered such issues with previous macOSes.

I honestly say Catalina is garbage.

HP Recommended

There is a new version Catalina 10.15.1 . I afraid to update to that, because I think nothing is going to work.

HP Recommended

Already installed the update.

There are moments all USB devices suddenly stop working followed by unexpected kernel panics.

HP Recommended

I don't blame you for being reticent about downloading the new Catalina update.  I felt the same way but in the same spirit of optimism of why I buy a lottery ticket occasionally, I decided to take a chance and download Catalina 10.15.1.  Unfortunately, just like the lottery, I didn't win.  In other words, my HP printer still fails to scan as it had in the past.

HP's stance that this is "an Apple issue" is total BS.  There is a software called "VueScan" that sells a scanning program for somewhere in the neighborhood of $80 that enables a user to scan on the current (or recent) Catalina .  It not only provides an easy way to scan for HP printers but for other printer manufacturers as well.  After spending way too much time trying to figure out the circular solutions HP offered that didn't work, I forked over the money because I need a workable scanner for my home office.  It's an outrage to have to pay $80 to get the HP printer to work but without a scanner my ability to do work from home is severely limited.

The point is that Vue Scan, whoever they are, HAS FIGURED OUT HOW TO MAKE HP PRINTERS AND CATALINA COMPATIBLE.  Why in the hell can't HP do the same?  The answer is that HP customers fundamentally aren't that important such that HP is focusing its resources elsewhere.  Again, HP, here's a hearty middle finger to you!

HP Recommended

Yes, I can use VueScan too for my HP SCAN.  It is not the best solution but at least is working.

HP Recommended

Welcome to our world.  Yes, the updated driver dated 09 OCT 2019 from HP on their web site does not do a good job of supporting HP scanner/printers.  When using the new HP Easy Scan My OfficeJet Pro 7740 only scans using the document feed and does not have any of the editing capabilities the previous version of Easy Scan had.  It also cause shutdown problems for the scanner/printer.  The fix for the scanning problems was supposed to come out November 5th.  But here it is, November 6th (and November 7th in India), and there is no fixed.  A work around for flatbed scanning on the Mac is to use Image Capture in your Applications folder.  Play around with it a little and you will find it does have edge detection and other features.  We have no idea when HP will deliver a workable, or for that matter, any solution.  I guess they feel the Mac world is not important enough to their bottom line to fix this.  Well maybe when the next round of printer/scanner purchases by Mac users occurs and their sales have dropped they will remember this.  But somehow I doubt they will notice.

HP Recommended

It's because macOS Catalina doesn't support legacy HP printers.

HP Recommended

This doesn't work. HP Smart does not have a scan option. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.