Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Office Jet 4654
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Hi there, I've tried everything to requested to get my printer up and working. I finally got it to work on my Windows system by a miracle but it refuses to work for the Mac. I've tried restarting the printer and router. I've tried all the things the virtual agent has suggested. I tried downloading the new firmware but it won't work. I've deleted the printer and reinstalled it. I've done the new drivers. Nothing is working. Please help! 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi Vchung, HP Support Community!

Could you please help me with the exact model name or the product number?

Is the printer added as AirPrint?

Have you tried to remove and add the printer?

Keep me posted.

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hi there, 

It's a HP Officejet 4654. It has been and yes, I tried several times to remove and re-add. 

HP Recommended

@Vchung

• Make sure the printer and the MAC are connected to the same wireless network.
  • This printer supports only 2.4GHz network. So, the MAC should be on the 2.4GHz network.
  • If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.
  • Also, check with your Internet service provider if your router is able to forward 'Bonjour packets'.

Let us check the connectivity between the printer and the MAC

1. Obtain the IP address of the printer by clicking on the Wireless icon on the printer
  2. On the MAC Go to Spotlight > search for Network utility > select Ping tab > enter the IP address of the printer in the box
  3. Check the second box that says Send only > 10 pings
  4. Click on ping > Check the results at the end if any packets are lost
  5. Note: There should be 0% packet loss, share the results in your next post.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @kumar0307, 

My printer is still not working. I tried what you suggested and this is what I got back. The internet is connected to the 2.4ghz and I've restarted the internet and printer several times:

--- .... ping statistics ---

10 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 90.0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 550.920/550.920/550.920/0.000 ms

There is nothing wrong with my printer and I'm am so frustrated that I can't get it to work on my MAC or my Windows computer. It's not that old of a printer. Please help me. 

HP Recommended

I also tried to install the latest firmware and it says that "Something seems to be wrong with your device. The device is in error state and cannot be reflashed because of this. Resolve the problem and try again."

I have restarted the router. Reset the printer to "restore network settings." Used the "wireless setup wizard." When it connects to my internet, it says that the connection is "excellent." 

HP Recommended

@Vchung

As per the PING test results, there is no proper communication between the printer and the MAC. Hence, you are not able to print.

"10 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 90.0% packet loss". This should be 0% loss.

It seems the printer is connected to the 2.4GHz network as it is working from Windows PC. But, did you check if the MAC is also connected to a 2.4GHz network?

• Did you check if your router can forward "Bonjour packets" which is necessary for MAC devices?
  • The wireless status menu on your Mac should also give us quite a lot of information that would help us identify the issue. You can press and hold the option key on your keyboard and click the WiFi icon to get detailed information.
  • You can press and hold option-click the WiFi icon and then use shift-command-5 to take the screenshot and share it in your next post. Press the space bar when the icon turns into a camera.

Which version of macOS are you using?

Check for any software updates on MAC

Click the Apple icon > About This Mac > Software Update and install any available update.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.