Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I just purchaced a new Envy5000 printer. As instructed, I entered "123.hp.com" to install the driver. A seemingly authentic homepage appeared, and then a chat box popped up from "Kevin", identified as some kind of technical assistant. I (stupidly) followed his instructions, including downloading what a file of some kind - can't remember the file name, 'cause I later trashed it. He then took contol of my computer to tell me there was some kind of networking problem. After several minutes of back and forth, he informed me that I needed to pay $199 to fix the "problem". At this point I grew suspicious and Googled "HP printer scam" only to see others have experienced the same. After (seemingly) disconnecting with him, I then Googled "HP printer setup" (or something like that) and got to the legitamite HP site and completed the printer setup without any issues.

I am concerned that somehow personal data on my Mac computer has been compromised. What should I do? Is there a way of knowing? Can HP help, please?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@RalphR1

I am sorry this happened to you.

The "123" website scam is well known -- there are several of these sites that have cropped up.

The "fake" sites always add something to the website name, maybe an extra word, maybe a domain type difference.

The HP site:

123.hp.com - Printer setup from the HP® Official site

https://123.hp.com/

Welcome to the HP® Official website to setup your printer. Get started with your new printer by downloading the software. You will be able to connect the printer to a network and print across devices.

Beware of Fake 123 printer sites

• There are several “fake” sites listed (in search engines) for “123” – please make sure you are using the actual “HP” site.
  • Notice the website address – the real HP site does not contain any extra verbiage. For example, there is no “setup” or other extra bits in the address.
  • HP websites are the only ones allowed to use the HP copyright logo.  Look for the copyright on any website claiming to be HP.
  • If you are asked for money OR if the “help” wants to log into your computer, you are using a “fake” site. Do not give these people your information!

Mac computers, though not as easily breached as some, can be subject to all sorts of trouble when you (inadvertently) invite someone into your File System.

Personally, I don't know Mac all that well;  please depend on your Apple Support site / forum to help you know which programs / software to use to thoroughly scan your system. 

At least in Windows, items tossed into the Recycle (trash) bin (and not permanently deleted) are not actually removed from the File System.  If Apple support wants to know what you loaded / downloaded into the computer, if the file was not permanently removed, look in your Trash bin for the offending file.

If you have personal data on the computer that you believe is compromised, do what you can to protect it.  For example, change passwords for websites, contact your bank to be on the watch-out for issues, change the passwords on your router and / or engage the settings for logging activity and set security to higher than normal.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

HP 7855. Very similar situation including the chat, call from an "expert", Remote controll of my computer and finding corrupted drivers on my computer that needed to be replaced. I was too late in suspecting a scam and wound up paying $390 to Globtier Inc. They now have my phone number, email address and possibly credit card info. Don't think they can take remote control of my computer unless I let them but I problably will change credit card numbers. I can't say they did anything illegal. They were very carefull to get my OK on the charges. The printer appears to be properly installed and the computer appears to have no serious problems but did require that I do a little clean-up afterwards. I would say if your get a chat screen when you first access the site, quit immediately and make sure you have the correct site. I just googled the hp site and picked one that looked correct. You could probably avoid this by entering www.123.hp.com in the address line. Hopefully my screw-up story will keep some others from doing the same.

HP Recommended

This just happened to me was so desperate to get my printer working so I can get my school stuff printed since it due. And let them into my computer. They asked me to go to run and enter something and then it gave them access I should have known better but since it was from what j thought was the hp site and it was a help support number I fell for it. Thank goodness I looked up hp scams on Google witb my phone while he was talking. I then shut down my computer but I'm sure he got what he needed already. Anyways that was the end of that call. Well off to bestbuy a legit company.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.