Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
6200 printer

This printer has never printed photos for me because it will not accept the photo paper of 5”x7”

I’m definitely putting it in the correct way I have even tried the wrong way. I’ve tried putting in the main paper section rather than the photo one but nothing it just will not take it to print on. It doesn’t matter if I put one page or 10 in.

my previous hp printer did the same too. I don’t know what else I’m meant to do

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Billie02 

There are several "6200" printers, each vastly different from one another.

I would guess an important detail - after the obvious, that of knowing which printer you have and knowing which Operating System you are running - is to find out whether the printer uses a photo tray (in addition to the regular tray). 

For example, If your printer does provide a photo tray -

1. Are you loading the photo paper into that photo tray?
  2. Is the 5x7 inch paper supported in the photo tray?

Why important:  Those printers that have photo trays sometimes only support the smaller 4x6 inch paper in that special tray.  "Other" paper sizes, including the 5x7 inch paper must be loaded into the main tray.

And

Does the printer know what you are trying to do?

For example,

If the photo paper is loaded into the main tray,

If your printer has a Printer Control Panel (where you can tap on the screen on the printer),

Is the printer aware that you changed the paper in the tray?

Check / Adjust / Retain the Paper at the Printer Panel

Open Printer Tray,

If you have not yet done so, add desired paper type

Close Tray

IF applicable for your printer:

Look for a message on the Printer Control Panel,

Click Modify (wording varies), set the paper size and type, Click OK

NOTE:  If the size of the Paper Size is not in the Drop-down list, Select Custom

Set the Preferences - Windows

1. The following assumes the Full Feature Software has been installed.
  2. Check / enable the printer as the “Default Printer”
  3. Select and adjust settings in each category for the Media (kind of paper), source (tray), and paper size.

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers > Right-Click on your printer > Set as Default

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers > Right-Click on your printer > Printing Preferences >

Tab Printing Shortcuts > Click / Highlight preferred shortcut > Click Apply > Click OK to exit

If the printer software supports the feature, change the settings as desired, then use “Save as” to create a Custom Shortcut.

OR

Windows key + S (search for) Printers and Scanners

Left-Click on (your) Printer > Manage >

Printing Preferences

Select a shortcut and / or set “preferred settings” for paper, source (tray), other settings

Optional (if / as available): Save As > enter a name for your custom shortcut

Click OK to save the preferences

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Device

Clarification of terms and "what the device can do" (Specifications)

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

For example,

Open Category  How to > Select Topic:  Print > Select Subtopic:  Instructions & Settings

Select a document, for example - for Windows:

HP Printers - How to Print Photos (Windows)

HP Printers - Print Driver Settings Guide (Windows)

and / or

Mobile Printing – Options, How-to, Help, and Information

Print from your Android, iOS, or Amazon Fire device with the HP Mobile printing app.

Read this document first - List of printers and supported applications

HP Printers - Mobile Printing Solutions Compatible with HP Printers

“Print Anywhere App” Supported on Select Printers

HP Printers - Print Anywhere with the HP Smart App

HP Smart - Download, How-to and FAQ

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Android, Apple iOS)

HP Mobile Printing – “Show and Tell” – Step by Step How-to

Learn how to connect and use your printer with your device

HP Mobile Printing - Print from Smart phone or Tablet

HP Smart - Help for Windows (includes a link to the store and an FAQ section)

Learn how to use HP Smart on your Windows 10 computer

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Windows 10)

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.