Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 7645
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have reloaded the software twice.  The HP software doctor thinks there is a problem but can't identify what it is.  I can print from my iPad but not from my  new PC running Windows 10 64 bit

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you. I have already tried the Print and Scan Doctor at least 3 times.  Each time everything seems to check out except the final conclusion is "cannot fix the problem."  The printer shows it is on line (I have reset the wireless even though it shows it is on my wireless network).  But when I try to print mostly from PDFs, I see the document in the cue and the message I get simply says it can't print.  And my computer says the printer is off line.  I have redownloaded the software a couple times from HP but I have not tried deleting these manually as you have suggested.  I have HP smart on my computer but this doesn't seem to help either.

I will try what you have suggested then get back with you.  We are going to be travelling away from home for a bit, so I won't be able to do much after today.  But I'll see how this works.  

I really don't want to have to buy a new printer.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @SLGinKzoo

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

To better assist you - 

1) What's the application that you are printing from?

2) Are you getting any error message?

While you respond to that, try these steps -

Download and install HP Print and Scan Doctor, it is a Windows tool to fix printer issues. 

If the issue still persists, try re-installing the printer driver -

1. In the search box, type and open "Uninstall a Program".

2. Look for HP Printer software.

3. Right-click to uninstall.

4. In the search box, type and open “Devices and printers”.

5. In the Devices and Printers, look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose “Delete” or “Remove Device”.

6. Open the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7. Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”).

8. Click on the "Drivers" tab.

9. Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click “Remove” at the bottom.

10. Select Ok.

11. Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows.

12. Close Devices and Printers Once the software and drivers are removed.

13. Restart the computer.

14. Download and install the software and drivers from here.

15. Click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.  

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you. I have already tried the Print and Scan Doctor at least 3 times.  Each time everything seems to check out except the final conclusion is "cannot fix the problem."  The printer shows it is on line (I have reset the wireless even though it shows it is on my wireless network).  But when I try to print mostly from PDFs, I see the document in the cue and the message I get simply says it can't print.  And my computer says the printer is off line.  I have redownloaded the software a couple times from HP but I have not tried deleting these manually as you have suggested.  I have HP smart on my computer but this doesn't seem to help either.

I will try what you have suggested then get back with you.  We are going to be travelling away from home for a bit, so I won't be able to do much after today.  But I'll see how this works.  

I really don't want to have to buy a new printer.

HP Recommended

Sure @SLGinKzoo

Keep me posted. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried your suggestion and this appears to have solved the problem.  I recall now that when I originally installed this printer the process got hung up for a long time on installing it to the network.  And I think that may have been the problem.  This time, when I installed the software, it asked me to enter the IP address (I don't recall that happening previously).  The next step took several minutes, but installed eventually.  I think that was the problem with the originally installation.  

I will have to see over time if this fixes the problem.  I will get back to you if there is an issue.  In the meantime, thank a lot!!

HP Recommended

I have ben away for a several days and have just returned home.  I tried printing from a Word document and got an error message saying the document could not be printed.  I see the document in my queue but it will not print.  When I first looked in my settings, it showed the printer to be off line even though the printer is obviously on line..  This was the same problem I was having before.  Not sure what else to do.  I will try running the diagnostic again until I hear back from you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.