Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet 4730 series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
USING DESKTOP PC:
Everything works fine for 1 or 2 days, then, we have 2 try 2 get it 2 work again...sometimes, as in this time we cannot get it 2 print at all. Tried printing directly from MS Word & the file folders (where U see all your drives, USBs pluggled in, etc.). - Still will not print & gives err message below
Err Message: ERR PRINTING ON HP6A20A2 (HP Officejet 4630 series) ERR printer could not print from MS Word

NOTE: the 3rd line of the ERROR MESSAGE instead of saying.'could not print from MS Word'...it can say 'ERR Pinter could not print from here' (ex: my computer where it shows all files, when we try 2 print a file- ex. from 'Documents' folder, it will not print ),

THINGS WE TRIED:
1. We did a 'hard re-boot' on the printer turing it off & plugging directly in wall.
2. DELETING THE PRINTER AND ADDING IT BACK, verifiying WiFi is working.
PLEASE NOTE: THE PRINTER ASKS US FOR A 'WEP/W(2 more letters)...we do not know what to enter here. This appears after we enter the IP Address, which is put into the printer setup on the PC and (it is the correct IP Address, because it took us to the next step (we entered it wrong once, it let us know & we had to try again before going to the 'Next' step).

COULD IT BE THAT WE DO NOT KNOW THE 'WEP/W(2 more letters") to enter into the printer?

The wifi information is correct...the printer shows up on the PC as 'READY", looking in 'NETWORKS' the printer shows "ON LINE" or "READY".

We cannot figure out the reason for it working a day or two, then stopping. The user is older and once we set everything up...'We say do not change anything', I think some was changed by accident or there's a printer problem! Two days ago (all in one day), I had no problem: printing, scanning and storing information on my jump drive.

Please help us! Thank you, Elizabeth Criswell
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Figured it out, before your message. Thanks for responding, definately many things to try. We tried typical things like turn the printer off, turn the computer off...after these things and more.
What worked:
We uninstalled the printer, did a 'hard' reboot of the printer (plugged directly in the wall). Turn on the printer, letting it recognize the network, while the printer was coming on, we Installed the printer (drivers) like from the beginning.

Unfortunately, this series of printers have some type of install software problem. We know other people that have them. Thanks again for your response.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended
Supposed to be: Officejet 4630 series!
Elizabeth
HP Recommended

Hi @Criswba,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I see from the post that you are having issues printing on your HP OfficeJet 4630 printer. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Did you make any changes on the printer before the issue started?

Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the full feature software?

How is the printer connected? USB/Wireless

In the meantime, let's try these steps here:

Hard reset on the printer, router, computer and other devices on the same network.

The following steps temporarily disconnect network and Internet connections and require restarting your computer. Complete any tasks or downloads in progress before continuing.

1. Press the Power button on the printer to turn it off.

2. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

3. Disconnect the power cord from the wireless router.

4. Turn off the computer.

5. Wait for 30 seconds.

6. Reconnect the power cord to the wireless router.

7. Wait for 30 seconds, or until the router is fully on and ready

8. Turn the computer back on.

9. Wait for the computer to reload

10. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

11. Turn the printer back on.

If the issue persists, I would suggest you could try to assign static IP address.

Let’s try assigning a static IP to try and fix this issue. Follow the steps below:

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Once done, reinstall the printer drivers. Follow the steps below:

• Unplug the USB cable from the printer and computer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now click on   http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL49503/mp-120038-6/OJ4630_198.exe to download and install the updated printer drivers.
  • In the connection type window, select “Wireless” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.  If they did, that’s awesome!  Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Figured it out, before your message. Thanks for responding, definately many things to try. We tried typical things like turn the printer off, turn the computer off...after these things and more.
What worked:
We uninstalled the printer, did a 'hard' reboot of the printer (plugged directly in the wall). Turn on the printer, letting it recognize the network, while the printer was coming on, we Installed the printer (drivers) like from the beginning.

Unfortunately, this series of printers have some type of install software problem. We know other people that have them. Thanks again for your response.
HP Recommended

Hi @Criswba,

Thank you for the update,
I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad you found a solution you were looking for.
Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.
I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.