Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 6835
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After a mid-May 2018 Windows 10 update, my printer will not print from installed programs (Word, Adobe, Corel, etc) using my network or direct USB connection.  However, it does print from the internet and from my iPad and Android devices.  I have two Windows 10 (64 bit) computers on my network and it won't print from either of them.  

I have uninstalled the HP program and downloaded/installed it again from the HP site, with no luck.

I turned off both the printer and the router, then I ran printui.exe /s and tried to remove the 6830 driver, but is says "the specified printer driver is currently in use." and won't let me remove it.  I checked Task Manager and didn't see any HP programs active.

I have been working on this for a month, and have tried every piece of advice that I could find on these forums, with no luck.  Has anyone else had this problem and have a solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Juggler21,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are having issues while printing from your HP OfficeJet Printer. Don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution.

Let's start off by performing a Hard reset on the printer. 

Please make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Let's perform a clean install to try and fix this issue. Here are the steps:

First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP OfficeJet printer entries and uninstall them.

Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

Restart your computer.

Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.

Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.

Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer”  – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".

Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.

Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (there is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.

Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

Open run again, type “%temp%” and press enter to get the temporary files. Delete all the files here. Skip the items which cannot be deleted.

Now restart your computer again.

Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.

Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.

Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.

Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well.

Click on  https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL54362/bi-131207-2/OJ6830_73.exe  and install the software.

Connect the USB cable only when prompted.

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to Uninstall the printer drivers and then try installing the Windows built-in drivers for the printer.

Simply turn on the printer and connect the USB cable from the printer to the PC. The drivers will be installed in 2-3 minutes. Go to Control panel - Devices and printers to check the printer entry and make it as default printer if needed.

Check http://hp.care/2nxKJv8 for additional instructions.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@Juggler21,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are having issues while printing from your HP OfficeJet Printer. Don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution.

Please make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP OfficeJet printer entries and uninstall them.

Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

Restart your computer.

Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.

Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.

Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer”  – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".

Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.

Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (there is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.

Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

Open run again, type “%temp%” and press enter to get the temporary files. Delete all the files here. Skip the items which cannot be deleted.

Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.

Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.

Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.

Click on  https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL54362/bi-131207-2/OJ6830_73.exe  and install the software.

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to Uninstall the printer drivers and then try installing the Windows built-in drivers for the printer.

Simply turn on the printer and connect the USB cable from the printer to the PC. The drivers will be installed in 2-3 minutes. Go to Control panel - Devices and printers to check the printer entry and make it as default printer if needed.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Jeet,

It worked!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

HP Recommended

@Juggler21

You're most welcome. 

You have been fabulous to work with considering your superb technical skills and valuable patience. Kudos to you for that. 

I'm glad that the issue is resolved.

As @Jeet_singh is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. 

Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi - I was having a similar problem as the original poster.  I've uninstalled and installed the printer several times.  I went through the procedure you listed above a couple of days ago:  not every step could be completed as listed, but I plowed through with as much as I could get done.  Long story short, it didn't work.

I decided to try again today and got stuck at this step:

"Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.

Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”."

I got this error message:

Capture.PNG

Please advice how to get around this roadblock.  Thanks!

@Jeet_singh wrote:

@Juggler21,

Restart your computer.

@Jeet_singh wrote:

@Juggler21,

Restart your computer.

Regards,

Regards,

HP Recommended

I followed the instructions up until clicking on the ftp.hp.com link, which gave me a 404 error.  Is there a more current URL that I can use?

HP Recommended

Are you kidding??!!  After going through all that and then finding the link you refer to "and install the software" is a dead end I am not impressed.  Still can't use my 8450 with the latest version of Win10.

HP Recommended

I feel your pain.  See my comment from 7/9/19.  The exact same thing happened to me.  I still can't use my printer.  I did connect it to an old PC running Windows XP and was able to print just fine, so I know that there is nothing wrong with the printer itself.  Let me know if you make any progress.

HP Recommended

I just got this problem from the latest win update and following the guide, the link doesn't work 😞

*Edit
After finding the link not working and making this post, I decided to follow a uninstall and reinstall guide for both my printers and that helped. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-properly-remove-printer-windows-10

HP Recommended

I had a similar problem yesterday, and ended up at the last step as it is a dead end link of "404 Not Found" error for that link. But I plug on the printer cable just now instead and install the driver as it was prompted. Set the printer as default. It works! Hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.