Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart C6280 all-in-one
Chrome OS

The A4 option on the printer page is no longer available using my HP photosmart printer C6280 connected to my chromebook with usb cable. There are only some very strange options available like omhagaki, om a-6-fb custom min and custom max to name a few. I keep getting a message on the printer saying to push the photo tray fully in. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, the problem has been fixed by Google/Chrome. 

Now able to print like we were able to do so 6 weeks ago.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@adspring49, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Try updating the Chrome OS/app and make sure the right printer is selected.

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Make sure the tray is properly seated. Refer to step 1 mentioned in this document.

To know how to print from a chromebook, click here

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar0307,

Thank you very much for replying.

Unfortunately, the problem was not solved. One of the reasons may be that they are not supporting my chromebook any more. But that doesn't seem to make much sense as I have an even older chromebook which still has the A4 option  but it will not print in Colour! So between the two of them, I can't even do the most basic of tasks. 

I have uninstalled HP Print for Chrome and re-installed it on both chromebooks. Still nothing

I used to be able to use wifi with my HP Photosmart connected to our Virgin Media router with an ethernet cable until they replaced it with a newer model which only works on 5ghz instead of both 2ghz and 5ghz on the older one.  I can't use wifi now - so much for progress. 

Sorry for rambling on.

Thank you for taking the time to help me - I really appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Alan Spring

HP Recommended

@adspring49

That's unfortunate. If the issue persists, please contact our HP Support team for further assistance:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Setty

This problem is definitely not a coincidence. 

However, through sheer persistence and stubbornness, I have solved the problem of printer in A4 by chance but not printing in colour which I will deal with separately. I just have to retrace my steps so bear with me:

1. I re-installed HP Print for Chrome.

2.I connected my Samsung chromebook (xe303c12 - quite old) to my Photosmart C6280 All-in-One using a usb cable.

3. I selected a jpg file for printing

4.Clicked on the printer icon.

5. In the destination section, the default choice is 'save as pdf' so click on it.

6. There are 4 choices:  HP Photosmart C6200 series (USB)

Save as PDF

Save to Google Drive

See more...

7. Click on 'See more...'  which reveals the following:   Save as PDF

Photosmart C6200 seires

HP Photosmart series (USB)

Save to Google Drive

HP Photosmart All-in-One

8. I clicked on 'Photosmart C6200' as a last resort  after trying all the others and this appeared in the destination section USB:Photosmart C6200 series. It added the USB on the front and if you click 'see more...' again, at the right-hand side you should see 'HP Print for Chrome' with the print icon in blue. I have tried without success to move the 'HP Print for Chrome' with the blue icon to my HP Photosmart series (USB) in the hope that I could also regain printing in colour again. Printing in A4 is absolutely essential but there is a long-winded way to get colour if you have a printer which will take an SD card. Just copy your file from the chromebook to aa SD card to get a colour print out and then use the photocopier function to make more copies. 

9. Click on the USB:Photosmart C6200 series (or whatever your printer is) and you should see ISO A4. If you click on the 'Paper size' you will see many other sizes including those infernal Hagaki and Ouu etc. In my early attempts to solve the problem I did select Hagaki (not knowling any better) and my printer had an apoplectic fit!

10. So you should at least be able to print in A4 but no colour I'm afraid.

I hope all this makes sense and will work with your setup. Let me know if it works or if I can help you further. It's a very low tec solution for an extremely annoying hi tec interference by someone who has put a big spanner in the works!

I will not be forced to upgrade any of my equipment.

HP Recommended

Hi Adspring49

Thanks for your lengthy response.  Unfortunately that doesn't work or make any changes of my printer.  I believe the problem liies with a bug in latest update of Chrome.

If you look at this thread in google support you will see lots of others are having this problem.  So don't buy a new printer lets get Google to fix the bug,

Here is the link

https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/15151412?hl=en

HP Recommended

Hi Setty,

I am sorry the instructions didn't work for you. 

Hope you solve the problem soon.

All the best,

Alan Spring

HP Recommended

Hi Alan

The latest update from google support is that it is a bug and they are working on fixing it, (if you follow the link in my previous post)

HP Recommended

Yes, the problem has been fixed by Google/Chrome. 

Now able to print like we were able to do so 6 weeks ago.

HP Recommended

Hi Setty,

Thank you so much for the good news.

I have reinstalled HP Print for Chrome and what a relief!

I don't know about you but the problem was actually making me quite depressed.

All the very best.

Kind regards,

Alan

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.