Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z All-in-One Series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My problem is, that when I try to print a Word document for instance, I get a simple error message from Word saying we can't print because of the way the printer is setup.

I recently did upgrade windows 10 (but had no problem printing afterwards,) and HP Print and Scan Doctor from 5.0 to 5.2. but had no problems afterwards either.

I have gone through many steps. Spent a LONG time with my provider (Verizon Fios) to make sure it was not a router problem, and I am convinced it is not that. I also downloaded the present drivers etc that HP says are the ones for my aging all-in-one.

I had the opportunity, from the printer screen and from the laptop to print test pages, and I was successful, so the printer does function. But when I try to set it up for wireless,and make that part of my network, I can not do it. Sometimes it claims my router password is wrong, but it isn't. And at least one time, the printer WAS placed in the wireless network. But even then I could not print a simple page from Word. (I also tried to print an Excel file, also getting the error message.)

My conclusion is that the problem lies somewhere in the printer not making connection with the network, etc., whether due to setup issues, wrong drivers and so on. By the way I have rebooted both laptop and printer several times; I also unplugged the USB connection from laptop to printer with no luck there either.

In short, I am at my wit's end, and would appreciate ANY help the community could give me.

Thank you.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@jfkljc

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's reset the Printer's network settings:

Select Setup, select Network, and then select Restore Network Defaults.

Once done, set up the Printer's wireless connection:

On the device control panel, press the Setup button. 3. Press an arrow button to move to Network Settings, and then press OK. 4. Press an arrow button to move to Wireless Setup Wizard, and then press OK. 5. Follow the display instructions to complete the setup.

You can download and install the software from here:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Betty0610:

Thanks so much for your messages.

I tried all the solutions you suggested. At one point, I did get a message from the printer that the wireless connection had been established.

Sadly, when I tried to print from Word, I still get the error message saying something like "Word can't print due to a problem with the printer setup." I then tried with Excel, and received a more detailed error message, basically saying the same thing.

Yet, when I went to my printer and tried to print a Print Quality Diagnostic Report, and it printed perfectly.

So, I am at a loss what to do next.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you,

James

HP Recommended

Let's try to do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer.

Once done, please download and install the software from here:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Are you printing the test page from the Computer or the Printer itself?

Try using the HP Smart App: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04675142

Let me know 🙂

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Betty:

Thanks so much for your persistence. I just saw the last two messages.

I will try the root uninstall/reinstall tomorrow.

As to the test page, it is printed from my computer I believe. I run the HP Diagnostic tool, and get a question saying "Print a test page?" and I click yes on the laptop, and it prints.

One other thing I explored: I saw E-print mentioned when I clicked on my printer icon. I fooled around with that--first I copied/pasted some things, sent the email, and it printed! (Poor job, the formatting was terrible, but at least it did print.)

I then tried it by attaching a file to the email, and leaving the body of the email empty. This was much better, as most of the original formatting was kept. It still isn't perfect, as I can't select things like print these particular pages etc. And so far I only printed Word files, but at least it is something.

Thanks again for your ongoing efforts of support. Now that I know where to find your suggestions, I will respond as I can.

James

HP Recommended

You're most welcome 🙂 Do try the last two steps and keep us posted 🙂

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I really thought we had it.

I tried the first solution you mentioned above--root uninstall/install--and got closer than ever before. I gto to the point where it asked me to put in the wireless numbers from the printer and it said they connected! (I used the wireless setup.)

BUT when I tried to print a Word document, I still got the error message "Word can't print this document because of printer setup."

I tried the E-print and that still works.

I also tried the second solution, trying HP Smart App, and nothing changed--E-print works, usual printing method doesn't.

One thing I should mention, which may be a contributing factor. When uninstalling, I got messages that the driver could not be deleted because it was in use by Printer Copy 1 and Printer Copy 2. I had deleted every printer I could see in the Printer/Devices list. I then went to the Hewlett Packard file and deleted everything I could.

So, not sure where to go from here--but your suggestions are always welcome. Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi @jfkljc

Restart the print spooler and try re-installing the driver again -

1) Turn off the printer using the power button.

2) Search Windows for run, and click the Run Windows application in the list of results.

3) Type services.msc in the Run window, and then press Enter on the keyboard.

The Services menu opens.

4) Right-click Print Spooler and select Stop.

5) After the service has been stopped, close the service window and use Windows Explorer to browse to C:\Windows\System32\Spool\PRINTERS.

6) Delete all files inside the PRINTERS folder.

7) Restart your computer.

😎 Turn on your printer.

9) Try printing again.

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Asmita:

I just saw your solution suggested on 6/16 for the first time.

I will try it today.

Did you see the message I replied to Betty? I will paste below this message.

James

I really thought we had it.

I tried the first solution you mentioned above--root uninstall/install--and got closer than ever before. I gto to the point where it asked me to put in the wireless numbers from the printer and it said they connected! (I used the wireless setup.)

BUT when I tried to print a Word document, I still got the error message "Word can't print this document because of printer setup."

I tried the E-print and that still works.

I also tried the second solution, trying HP Smart App, and nothing changed--E-print works, usual printing method doesn't.

One thing I should mention, which may be a contributing factor. When uninstalling, I got messages that the driver could not be deleted because it was in use by Printer Copy 1 and Printer Copy 2. I had deleted every printer I could see in the Printer/Devices list. I then went to the Hewlett Packard file and deleted everything I could.

So, not sure where to go from here--but your suggestions are always welcome. Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.