Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

My HP Envy  4520 Printer Scanner used to work with my HP Computer - Windows 10 to print color and to print 2 sided without me needing to reinsert the page(s) to print the back side. The weird thing is that my partner's Apple computer does those functions with the same printer which is managed on my computer. Do I have outdated driver's?  I have recent new features like be contacting the printer by phone as well as scanning for email or print. The only suggestions I get is that my computer's settings are at fault. Another weird thing is that when I scan from the bed of the printer and print from the scanner, with no use of the computer, I get color. I often email items to my husband to get color printing.

I have twice had the Computer techs (Staples) try to fix this and they say they have but when I get it home it reverts to the same situation.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @marg13

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the printing issue. 

Let's try these steps -

1. In the search box, type and open "Uninstall a Program".

2. Look for HP Printer software.

3. Right-click to uninstall.

4. In the search box, type and open “Devices and printers”.

5. In the Devices and Printers, look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose “Delete” or “Remove Device”.

6. Open the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7. Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”).

8. Click on the "Drivers" tab.

9. Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click “Remove” at the bottom.

10. Select Ok.

11. Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows.

12. Close Devices and Printers Once the software and drivers are removed.

13. Restart the computer.

Download and install the driver from this link

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hi @marg13

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the printing issue. 

Let's try these steps -

1. In the search box, type and open "Uninstall a Program".

2. Look for HP Printer software.

3. Right-click to uninstall.

4. In the search box, type and open “Devices and printers”.

5. In the Devices and Printers, look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose “Delete” or “Remove Device”.

6. Open the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7. Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”).

8. Click on the "Drivers" tab.

9. Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click “Remove” at the bottom.

10. Select Ok.

11. Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows.

12. Close Devices and Printers Once the software and drivers are removed.

13. Restart the computer.

Download and install the driver from this link

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yesterday I was able to print color and the 2 sided feature worked properly. Today it has reverted to changing my setting to monochrome and requiring me to reinsert pages to print both sises.I guess I have to start all over.

HP Recommended

@marg13

Please try these steps - 

1. Select “Start” and type “printers” in the search box.
2. Choose “Printers & scanners“.
3. Select “Add a printer or scanner“.
4. Wait for the “The printer that I want isn’t listed” option to appear, then select it.
5. Select “Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname” , then select “Next“.
6. Select “TCP/IP Device” in the “Device type” list.
7. Type the hostname or the IP address of the printer. Select “Next“. To find the IP address of the printer, touch the Wi-Fi icon on the printer's control panel. 
8. Windows should find the printer if the printer is on and configured correctly. You may have to specify more information. If prompted, Select the type of network adapter installed in the printer in the “Device Type” drop-down list. You can also click “Custom” to specify custom settings for the network printer. Select “Next“.   

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The printer is listed. I  had already gone through the 'find my printer' in devices and printers. I have asked it to print a pdf  from an email. I get the pop up message saying : Printer in an error state -  HPFF007C (HP ENVY 4520 series) is in an error state.

HP Recommended

@marg13

Try a printer reset -

1) Take out the cartridges. 
2) Unplug the power cord from the printer & wall. 
3) Wait for 30 seconds.  
4) Plug the power cord back into the printer and wall, ensure the printer is plugged into the wall & not to a surge protector. 
5) Insert the cartridges back into the printer.

and check if the copy works. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It is copying  - in color but  it always did as long as my computer was not involved.

HP Recommended

@marg13

Is the printer error gone? Try printing a different document this time and check. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

From notepad I tried printing your instructions which I had pasted and copied there.

Same error message.

HP Recommended

My husband printed an email and the printer works for him. From his Mac Book Air.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.