Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I want to do a clean reinstall of my print driver and firmware for my HP Color LaserJet CP1515n. If I run printui.exe /s click the Drivers tab a driver " HP Color LaserJet CP1515 PS Class Driver is listed. If I select it and click "Remove" and select either "Remove driver only" or "Remove driver and driver package" I get the message "Unable to remove HP Color LaserJet CP1515 PS Class Driver, X64, Type 4- User mode driver".

The printer is off, I have removed the printer in the Control panel, in Device manager I have deleted my printer print queue and my printer in the (hidden) printer devices.

How can I delete HP Color LaserJet CP1515 PS Class Driver? How can I find where/what is using this driver?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@BobKP

Welcome to HP Community

Please run the System File Checker to checks for system file corruption

• In the search box on the taskbar, enter Command Prompt. Press and hold (or right-click) Command Prompt (Desktop app) from the search results and select Run as administrator.
  • Enter DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (note the space before each "/"). (Note: This step may take a few minutes to start and up to 30 minutes to run and complete.)
  • Enter sfc /scannow (note the space between "sfc" and "/"). 

Next uninstall the printer driver from root level once again

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
2.) Select your HP Printer 
3.) Select Uninstall 
4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.
7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab 
9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
10.) Select Ok 
11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
12.) Close Devices and Printers

Keep me posted how it goes  😊 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

My HP Color laser jet works perfectly in stand-alone mode but cannot get it unstall correctly. Everytime I do a reinstall 2 version of the printer show up in Devices and Printers:

a) HP Color Laserjet CP1515n UPD PCL6, &

b) HP Universal Printing PCL6 (v6.4.1)

Setting a) as the default printer: it prints but only in black and white and with an error msg "Unable to communicate with the printer". The lower window in "Devices and Printers" shows "Status" as 'Error'

Setting b) as default printer: nothing prints although a lower right hand window opens stating job sent to printer and a few seconds later an error msg "Printer in error state". Clicking "See what is printing" shows the docs waiting to print.

Looks like the printer drive software is corrupted so I tried reinstalling but it makes no difference.

I'm getting desparate! Can someone show me how the unistall all the printer driver(s?) software and then do a clean reinstall please.

HP Recommended

@BobKP

Welcome to HP Community

Please run the System File Checker to checks for system file corruption

• In the search box on the taskbar, enter Command Prompt. Press and hold (or right-click) Command Prompt (Desktop app) from the search results and select Run as administrator.
  • Enter DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth (note the space before each "/"). (Note: This step may take a few minutes to start and up to 30 minutes to run and complete.)
  • Enter sfc /scannow (note the space between "sfc" and "/"). 

Next uninstall the printer driver from root level once again

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
2.) Select your HP Printer 
3.) Select Uninstall 
4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.
7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab 
9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
10.) Select Ok 
11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
12.) Close Devices and Printers

Keep me posted how it goes  😊 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi KrazyToad,

Very many thanks for your reply: your suggestions worked a treat. Only one small hitch: when I tried to delete the drivers (all 3 of them) having run "printui.exe 's" I wasn't able to because they were "in use". Decided to stop the print spooler. Went back to the "printui.exe" and was able to delete everything.

Have since managed to connect my Windows PC to my HP CP1515n printer via my router and also my Windows 7 and Windows XP laptops. Now I can print from all 3.

Not being a computer geek I feel a quite sense of achievement!

Thanks again for your interest and consideration.

BobK.

HP Recommended

@BobKP

I'm glad we got this issue sorted out

Do visit our Support Community and drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.