Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I couldn't get my printer to use the auto doc feeder automatically when scanning.  It works fine for copying, but not for scanning.  So I deleted my printer device in Windows 10 and uninstalled all the software and started over.  If I select Add Printer and accept the Microsoft install, it works, but I have to use the Microsoft scanner software, which doesn't autodetect if paper is in the ADF (automatic document feeder).  With that setup, running Print and Scan Doctor 5.3.1 always fails on HP Scan (2nd to last test), and says HP Scan application software cannot be found.  If I delete the device after this and start over again, uninstalling all the printer software I can find and try using the Print and Scan Doctor or HP update to do it all, I download the install package which runs rather quickly and says Finished, but the activity log says the install failed.  I can do this over and over again.  How do I get the HP Scan application software to install?  Something is obviously not working because I can't pull up any kind of HP scanning software no matter what I do.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

First, right-click the network icon on your PC and select Open Network & Internet Settings.

Open the Network and Sharing Center from this screen and click the 'Change advanced sharing settings' link in the side pane.

Under Private (Current profiles), uncheck the box next to 'Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices'.

Right-click the Start button and select Device Manager.

From the top View menu click Show hidden devices.

Expand the Software Devices category and uninstall any instance of your printer from there.

Expand the WSD Print Provider category and uninstall any instance of your printer from there.

Expand the Imaging Devices category and uninstall any instance of your printer from there.

Expand the Printers category and uninstall any instance of your printer and any listed Unknown Device from there.

Expand the Print Queues category and uninstall any instance of your printer from there.

Expand the Other Devices category if shown and uninstall any instance of your printer and any listed Unkwon Device from there.

Click Start > Settings > Apps and search for HP, uninstall the HP Officejet Pro 8610 Basic Device Software.

Right-click the Start menu and select Run, paste the following and press OK:

printui /s /t2

If there is any instance of your printer or any listed Microsoft PCL Class Driver, select Uninstall and select the 2nd option to remove both the printer and its driver, if it fails to delete, reboot your PC and repeat this step.

Ensure your operating system is up to date, this can resolve many installation problems:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027667/windows-10-update

Finally, reinstall the latest software below:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL51184/bi-124093-4/OJ8610_198.exe

If that doesn't help, you may scan using the HP Smart app on your PC or Mobile Device to scan from both glass or feeder to your PC.

You may also set up scanning to Email or Network Folder to scan from the glass or feeder from the printer front panel without using the HP Software.

This can be set via the HP Embedded Web Server as listed below, the same steps apply for your printer model too:

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c03953940#AbT3

Or the following to set up scan to mail:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03953891

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Great.  I tried this, following it exactly.  It didn't work.  Now I can't print at all.  If I 'Add Printer', it finds my HP5DAF44 (HP Officejet Pro 8610) device and 'adds' it, but it says status:  Driver is unavailable.  Now I can't even get back to where I can print.  

HP Recommended

One thing good I guess is that the install procedure managed to get the HP Smart app on my machine.  Unfortunately, nothing it or the Scan and Print doctor utility does can make it work.  They just want to keep downloading the huge OJ8610_198 file over and over again so it can run and do nothing.

HP Recommended

Ironically, it will scan now using the Microsoft Scan app, but it won't print and it says the driver is unavailable.

HP Recommended

Another interesting thing is that everything works just fine within the HP Smart App installed on my computer.  Scanning and printing of test pages.  For some strange reason, Win 10 says the driver is unavailable and I can't print any microsoft documents.

HP Recommended

How do I get this thing out of "Embedded Web Server" mode?  I don't want an embedded web server, and I never asked for that.  I just want to install this stupid printer on my computer.  It's making an assumption whenever I try to add a printer to add this embedded web server back on.  Every time I uninstall and install again, it puts the same thing back on that I can't use.  I'm totally lost, and totally frustrated.  Does HP not possess install utilities that know how to do a proper uninstall/install without and act of God intervention.  The Microsoft software and the HP stuff do not know how to talk to each other.  That much is clear.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try following below version of the HP Print and Scan Doctor Utility by selecting your printer:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/patches/HPPSdr.exe

Be sure to restart your PC and allow the utility to complete the process, then check for any difference.

Try printing and check for any change, if the same remains try printing using the newly added print queue copy and check.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks for trying.  I was encouraged by the new revision number in the alternate HP Print and Scan Doctor 5.0.6, but it did exactly the same thing.  It finds the printer and indicates that it's installed.  Then when I click Next, it communicates with the printer and says the printer isn't set to be the default.  The yes button doesn't respond.  The no button takes me to a page that says "The full software solution for your product is not installed on this computer", and it gives me an opportunity to get the installer, which just opens the same old webpage that downloads the same non-functional driver.  When I install that, if I pull up Devices and Printers in Win 10 the printer shows up but says "Driver is Unavailable."  That's interesting, because from HP Smart, I can print a test page without any problem.  My computer is on an ethernet cable to the router.  The router and the printer communicate wirelessly.  I know that setup works because I have another computer in the house where that setup works just fine.  I've tried a bunch of flavors of uninstalling and installing again, but I get the same result every time.  I think the HP driver OJ8610_198 simply doesn't work, and hey refuse to own it.  I'm not sure what else I can do to get their attention besides begging for help here.  It's out of my hands, but I'm not about to pay for tech support over a driver that is their responsibility to debug and verify before releasing it.  I am not pleased.

HP Recommended

Does the HP Print and Scan Doctor install procedure actually require a restart?  It never asked me to do that.  It just said it finished the install, which doesn't work. 

I tried the new HP Print and Scan Doctor 5.0.6, but it did exactly the same thing as before.  Specifically, it located the printer and indicated that it was installed, but it looked strange.  It didn't have an ip address under it, just [fe80::6ec2:17ff:fe54:2783] which turns out is NOT the MAC address of my printer. but a jumbled version of it.  When I hit Next, it communicates with the printer and asks me if I want to set it as the default.  The Yes button doesn't respond.  The No button takes me to a page that says "The full software solution for your product is not installed on this computer" with a button to "Get Installer".  That button takes me back to the web page where I can download the same old OJ8610_198 driver package, which doesn't work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.