Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
DeskJet GT 5820
macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Hey! I need help to reset my printer to its factory default since i forgot the username and password for this printer, so i cant set it up to a new network. Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi! @andrewwilliam26, Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand you would like to know how to reset the printer to factory settings as you have forgotten the username and password.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Have you replaced the router at your place?

Are you connecting directly to the printer or connecting to a wireless network?

Is the printer and the MAC connected to the same wireless network?

Are you able to connect other devices to the same network?

Excellent description and a great diagnosis done. It is greatly appreciated.

Try disabling the firewall and antivirus if you have it on your MAC and check if it helps.

Try updating the printer firmware and MAC OS to the latest version.

Try connecting your printer to the network using WPS method.

For instructions on starting WPS on your printer consult your printer's manual. However there are some conditions that need to be met in order to use WPS pushbutton mode:
•    Both your printer and wireless router must support WPS pushbutton mode. Consult your printer and wireless router manuals.
•    The wireless router must have a physical WPS pushbutton available.
•    Your network must use WPA or WPA2 security. Most WPS wireless routers will not connect using the WPS method if WEP or no security is used.
•    Most WPS wireless routers will not connect using the WPS method if you are using the manufacturer’s default for the network name and no security.
To connect your wireless printer to your wireless router using WPS:
•    Start the WPS pushbutton mode on your printer. 
To use the Push Button Configuration (PBC) method 1. Press and hold the Wireless button ( ) on the printer for more than three seconds to start WPS push mode. The Wireless light starts blinking. 2. Press the WPS button on your router

The product begins a timer for approximately two minutes while a wireless connection is established.

Please try few steps recommended below.

Restart the computer, printer, and router to resolve any network or communication error states.
   NOTE:
The following steps temporarily disconnect network and Internet connections and require restarting your computer. Complete any tasks or downloads in progress before continuing.
Disconnect the power cord from the router.
Turn off the printer.
Close all running programs on your computer, including the HP software installation window, then shut down the computer.
Reconnect the power cord to the router, then wait for the Internet activity light to display a normal connected status.
Turn on the printer.
Turn on the computer.

Run the Print Wireless Network Test

Press the Wireless button and the Information button
together to run the wireless test, and then review the test
report for information on how to solve the problem.

Lastly, Try restoring the network settings to default and connect the printer to the network.

Note: Restoring the printer network settings to default will remove all the devices connected the printer. You have to rejoin all the devices back to the printer.

To reset the printer's network settings press the Wireless button and the Cancel button from the printer control panel at the same
time, and then hold them for three seconds.

Refer this article to know more information about configuring printer after replacing the router. Click Here

Also, refer this article to further troubleshoot printer not found on network issues. Click Here

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've tried all reset solutions and it doesnt work. I need to reset my Username and Password since i had my router changed and my ISP changed. Please PM me the steps on having a force factory reset. Thanks!

HP Recommended

@andrewwilliam26, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I understand the steps suggested above didn't work for you.

As you mentioned you have replaced the router and the ISP.

Please share few details requested below.

Are you able to connect other devices to the same network?

Do you have the network name and SSID for the router?

Also, I will share you the steps to perform a semi full reset in a private message.

Please watch your inbox for more information.

Hope this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

yes i was able to connect my other device to the router and yes i do know the ssid and the password. The problem is that i forgot my printers username and password, so i couldn't edit the settings of my printer

HP Recommended

@andrewwilliam26, I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned you have forgotten the username and password for the printer.

Did you try performing a semi-full reset suggested from my previous post?

It looks like the username and password you are looking is for the EWS page.

Try restoring the network settings to defaults and check if it helps.

Press the Wireless button and the Cancel button from the printer control panel at the same
time, and then hold them for three seconds. 

Refer the printer user guide to know more information. Click Here

Note: Refer page 72 for more information.

If the above steps do not work then you may try the following steps:

1. Open a web browser and type the printer IP address in the address field exactly as it appears on the Configuration Page,  and then press Enter.
    NOTE: . From the printer control panel, press the Wireless button and the Information button (i) together to print the network configuration page. This page contains the IP address.
  2. Click the Security tab, and under General Security, set the local administrator password.
    1. Keep the username default as admin.
    2. Type the New Password and Verify Password.
    3. Navigate to the bottom of the page and click Apply.

Use these credentials the next time you Log In to the EWS.

Let me know if this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, i am finding the admin and username for the EWS. Is there any way? i've gone to the security tab in the EWS and it asked me for the admin and password credentials, so i was unable to change it. Any methods of reseting the printer to factory default apart from the EWS?

HP Recommended

@andrewwilliam26, Thanks for your quick response and time again.

I appriciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned when you open it's asking for the EWS password.

Try performing a semi-full reset on your printer and check if it helps.

As the steps to perform semi-full reset is confidential I will share you the steps in a private message.

Please watch your inbox for more information.

Hope this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have set admin password, but it doesn't work anymore. I have tried pushing start and cancel button, but everytime I go back to 192.168.223.1 all functions are disabled by admin and please enter password and username screen comes up.

I have to reset my printer to factory defaults; Please help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.