Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 2134
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have heard recently that there is a Windows protocol called SMBv1 which is very old, and apparently ransomware such as Petya and Wannacry can exploit flaws in this.  

Therefore, it should be disabled under Windows Features, by unticking the box, although this will require a system restart to put it in place.

Apparently though, some things do require SMBv1 in order to function.

More information here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/321072/how-to-disable-smbv1-and-protect-your-windows-pc-from-attack/

Apparently, this is being rectified by Microsoft in the next 'Patch Tuesday' updates (although why not sooner I don't know).

Does this apply to my printer anyway?  I have disabled it anyway to be on the safe side.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

A such won't apply to your pritner in any way.

SMB is a file sharing protocol used to access a shared folder, as your printer do not offer any digital filing capabilities such as scanning directly to a shared folder there is no usage of SMB at all for your printer, the HP Software directly scans to your coputer so no relation with a such at all...

Hope that fully clarifies your concerns,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

A such won't apply to your pritner in any way.

SMB is a file sharing protocol used to access a shared folder, as your printer do not offer any digital filing capabilities such as scanning directly to a shared folder there is no usage of SMB at all for your printer, the HP Software directly scans to your coputer so no relation with a such at all...

Hope that fully clarifies your concerns,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

As you say this doesn't apply to my printer, as it is not a network printer.  So therefore my printer doesn't need it and I don't.  Fine.

Having said that, can you please make others aware of this vulnerability this SMBv1 causes, the potential for ransomware threat?

To be on the safe side (and because it is being disabled from next month anyway in the Patch Tuesday updates - 12th Sept), I have already taken the precaution of disabling this anyway, rather than have my PC hijacked.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.