Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've got an HP Officejet Pro 8620. Every time I shut down Windows 10, I get the following error message

Application pop-up: ScanToPCActivationApp.exe - Application Error : The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000409) occurred in the application at location 0x00007FF666BE11D0.

According to the HP discussion boards, this fault has already been reported to HP.

"09-29-2016 An HP case manager is opening a bug report to the HP software engineering team. He was unable to provide a target date at this time."

"11-19-2016 HP Case Management says that they opened an issue with their Level 3 support team, but they are unable to provide any status on when a fix will be available. I've been told that fixes are prioritized  in part by how many people complain."

Well, I'm complaining as I experience the fault.

Is HP ever going to fix the fault?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Okay, for those on Windows 10 it appears that the Creators update fixes this issue.  My laptop as mentioned in my previous post had the Creators update but my desktop did not.  I updates the desktop to the Windows Creators Update and it has eliminated the message.  Shutdown/Restart behaves as expected.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Roger_W

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

HP Recommended

Hi MKazi

Re: ScanToPCActivationApp.exe - Application Error. Stops Windows 10 from shutting down normally

I also have an HP Officejet Pro 8620, running Windows 10. I'm getting a similar error message to Roger_W however it reads the exception occurred in the application at location 0x00007FF73A4C16EO. The error seems to recur whenever I add the printer to my PC by wifi.

2 months on from Roger's post and still no solution.

Can we get some help here please HP?

HP Recommended

I too am getting error message with a slight variation to it.  "The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000409) occurred in the accplication at location 0x00007FF6EE9811D0."  This only happens on shutdown/restart from what I have seen but certainly annoying.  I have Windows 10 Home / Version 1607 / OS Build 14393.1358 running on an HP Pavillion desktop.   I also have an HP 15 Laptop running Windows 10 Home / Version 1703 / OS Build 15063.413 that works as expected and does not receive the error.  This is what I believe to be the Windows 10 Creators Update.  I am not sure what fixed the problem and will most likely be an early adopter on my Desktop to see if the problem goes away and report back.

HP Recommended

Okay, for those on Windows 10 it appears that the Creators update fixes this issue.  My laptop as mentioned in my previous post had the Creators update but my desktop did not.  I updates the desktop to the Windows Creators Update and it has eliminated the message.  Shutdown/Restart behaves as expected.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.