Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP8620 printer scanner has been connected to my PC for some time and operated perfectly but I have reinstalled the full driver software and have "lost" the scanning software

Is it possible to reinstall the scanning software?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

My Officejet 8610 scanning software has suddenly disappeared from both my iMac and my MacBook Pro. It had been working perfectly and just used it on both computers last week.  I have not updated either computers since I last used my printer and scanner again just last week.  What is going on?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@chris126

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher, is at your service (Like a Genie, however, without magic powers) 😉 

As I understand the scanner software has disappeared into thin air,

Don't worry as I possess the knowledge of the unseen & should get it right back, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Does the copier work as a stand alone printer?
  • Did you attempt to reinstall the drivers via root level?
    • If not, simply try the below steps.

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

• Press "Windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services - Go to "Print spooler" - Right-click and "Stop" the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type "spool" and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:
  • First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present. 
  • Go to Control panel - Programs and feature - Select all the HP printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel - Devices and printer - Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type - "c:/programdata" - Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.

Then, use this link to access the HP website, find the drivers compatible with your windows and install it: CLICK HERE

Keep me posted,

For I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, if you don't get back to us 😉 

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your assistance

Unfortunately I followed the instructions but after attempting to install the drivers I received an error message telling me that the Drivers could not be installed over the network

I have run Print and scan Doctor which shows the 8620 as not installed

Any further advice will be appreciated

HP Recommended

@chris126

Thank you for responding,

This is the Riddle_Decipher, again!

It's great to have you back 😉

If a full feature driver from HP is not available for your printer, you must install the built-in print driver. A full feature driver for one or more Windows versions is not available for your printer, either from the CD that shipped with your printer or from the HP website.

NOTE:

Where is the download button? The HP print driver is built into the Windows operating system or is installed through the Windows Update feature on your computer. You do not need to download anything from a website in order to print, scan, or fax.

See the Frequently asked questions in this document for additional information, including how to scan using this driver.

Keep us posted, 

(We shall troubleshoot as a team, fight till the end and emerge victorious)

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

feel free to give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" button.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply

However I am confused as until recently I had full drivers installed which gave me print and scan facilities - why can't I reinstall them?

HP Recommended

@chris126

Thank you for responding,

This is the Riddle_Decipher, again!

It's great to have you back 😉

Normally, you should be able to reinstall them and that's what we initially tried,

and since it didn't work is why I recommend using the windows built-in drivers.

Please try the suggestion advised previously and let me know if that works.

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

feel free to give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" button.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My Officejet 8610 scanning software has suddenly disappeared from both my iMac and my MacBook Pro. It had been working perfectly and just used it on both computers last week.  I have not updated either computers since I last used my printer and scanner again just last week.  What is going on?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.