Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 7640 e-all-in-one
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I teach computer classes and use a lot of handouts with screenshots.  I used an HP 7310 xi all-in-one printer for 14 years and had no problems printing documents with screenshots.  In August 2017 the 7310 died and I bought an HP Envy 7640 e-all-in-one printer.  When I print out a document with a screenshot in it, the printout has enlarged the screenshot and sliced about an inch off the edges.  I read in one of these online forums that HP said it was a Microsoft problem; however, I have not changed anything else relating to my Windows 7 computer, any other computers on the home network, or software.  The only changes are the addition of the new printer and its inability to print screenshots accurately - e.g.,  as they appear in the virtual document in MS Word or in print preview.

If anyone has an answer/repair/solution for this issue, I would really appreciate hearing about it.  Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Anna_48

How do you take a screenshot ? Depending on few things including resolution the image could be larger a piece pf paper. There are few options

• Give printer to print more dpi (that could be the diffenece between 2 printers) - for example increase from 300dpi to 600dpi
  • Using other software such as Paint and paste the screen shot to that software then resize before print.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestions.  The first one - printing with higher DPI - did not work.  The screenshot was still cut off on two sides when printed.

However, the second idea did work.  I copied the screenshot from the MS WORD document into PAINT, then saved it as a .jpg file.  Then I cut the screenshot from the MS WORD document and inserted the saved .jpg file.  It then had to be cropped because there was a large amount of blank border on two sides of the image.  After that it would print showing the whole screenshot. However, the clarity was not good.  It is such a disappointment that HP has not corrected this problem.  It is a step backwards to have a new printer that does not complete this simple task which older HP printers have done so easily for many years.

HP Recommended

Just got off with HP.  THIS IS THE ANSWER KEY!!  You need to call HP business produce support for free (even if you are over your 1 yr warranty period) at 1.800.334.5144, and they will walk you through installing the Universal print driver.  Do not try to do this on your own.  There are lots of peculiarities to the process beginning with how you disable your existing HP M452 before even downloading/ installing the print driver here: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/solutions/business-solutions/printingsolutions/UPD.html?jumpid=af_s73wr2vc....    Once I had the universal print driver installed and printed using it rather than the M452 driver, all went perfectly!!!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.