Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 5000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Last month HP forced me to download an App for my Envy printer. Ever since then, I cannot print from my laptop to the printer. The "App" says it is not installed. It tried once to download a driver and said it could not. So I have to send everything I want printed to my iPad and then my iPad prints it just fine. The printer is on the network (or else the iPad wouldn't print). I've rebooted everything on my system and nothing works. I uninstalled and then reinstalled the "App" and it tried to download a driver once again, and once again said it couldn't download it. I download stuff all the time just fine. 

How do I find the driver to download myself manually without dealing with this so-far-stupid "App"?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

IGNORE THIS. The printer is working. Note follows.

To begin, there was no longer any HP printer listed in my list of printers. So I went back to your first set of instructions to at least get a printer in the list. The printer was named, "HP ENVY 5000 series (CBBD64)/App available for this device." I followed the instructions in the video as much as I could as the video shows an earlier version of Windows. But I did finally find the "Properties" section and followed the instructions in the video.

The result is that I now have TWO printers listed:

HP ENVY 5000 series (CBBD64)/App available for this device

HP ENVY 5000 series (CBBD64)/Driver is unavailable

When I went to the new second listing to see what choices I had, it appears that this is related only to the scanning feature of the HP ENVY 5000 series.

Next step?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

REALLY? NO REPLIES? I CAN'T BE THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN'T GET MY PRINTER DRIVER WITH THE NEW "APP."

HP Recommended

@RGaitherNM Due to the current global COVID-19 situation, we're seeing an influx of customers coming in for support and we appreciate your patience.

That said, I recommend you delete the driver at the root level and retry, follow the steps below: 

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2.) Select your HP Printer 

3.) Select Uninstall 

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose `Delete' or `Remove Device' 

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between "printui.exe" and "/s") 

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab 

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10.) Select Ok 

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12.) Close Devices and Printers 

Then, Click here to access the HP website, find the drivers compatible with your windows and install it.

If the issue persists, please go ahead and install the windows built-in drivers: 

If a full feature driver from HP is not available for your printer, you must install the built-in print driver. A full feature driver for one or more Windows versions is not available for your printer, either from the CD that shipped with your printer or from the HP website.

NOTE:

Where is the download button? The HP print driver is built into the Windows operating system or is installed through the Windows Update feature on your computer. You do not need to download anything from a website in order to print, scan, or fax.

See the Frequently asked questions in this document for additional information, including how to scan using this driver.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: Click here

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us, 

have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
This did not work. I feel as if I'm in the endless loop of: uninstall printer (and this time I took the step of removing devices from the list using the Windows-R as you suggested); look for driver (this time a "windows" driver, but I can find no such beast; i get only the option to install "Smart HP"); install printer again; HP says to open its "app"; and the printer won't work because, surprise, "Driver is unavailable." In the Windows-R step, I had two choices. One was install driver and the other was to uninstall driver and package. I had no idea what the latter meant, so I just uninstalled the driver. Should I have done the other? And if there's just a plain ordinary Windows driver, where the heck is it, because it's not where your link took me. That was only to the one choice of installing "Smart HP" (or something similar. Thanks for the effort. I still can't print.
HP Recommended

@RGaitherNM I know exactly what you mean, and here's the link that should lead you directly to the beasts den: click here to access and download the driver, Although, you may need to follow my steps all over again to remove all drivers completely, before installing the driver from this link.

let me know if you need anything else, keep me posted.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

i went through this process several times each time looking to make sure no HP drivers had mysteriously appeared in my list of drivers. In each case, I tried different choices, but the result was always the same. Whether I enter the printer's IP address or the Host name, it won't find it. I removed the printer from the network and reconnected it to the network (same network as my laptop). The printer still has the same IP address, same host name. I even tried the "Print and Scan Doctor," both the printer is not offline  version and the printer is offline version (which isn't true as it isn't even recognized by my laptop anymore). This morning I'm in tears because I have work to do and I'm spending hours trying to get my printer back. It's worked since 2018, same laptop, same printer. Why now does it just up and quit? The printer is working for every other device on the network. 

Right now there is no driver at all on my laptop as I was going to try everything again. But I have no new choices to make, so that doesn't make sense. 

HP Recommended

@RGaitherNM Create a TCP IP port:

- 1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the front panel of your Printer to get the IP address

- 2. On your PC, go to Control Panel, from Devices and Printers, right-click the printer and left-click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.

- 3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.

- 4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

This video resource will show you how to do it: 

Click here to watch

Keep me posted with the results,

And don't worry, I'll be with you until this is sorted for good.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

IGNORE THIS. The printer is working. Note follows.

To begin, there was no longer any HP printer listed in my list of printers. So I went back to your first set of instructions to at least get a printer in the list. The printer was named, "HP ENVY 5000 series (CBBD64)/App available for this device." I followed the instructions in the video as much as I could as the video shows an earlier version of Windows. But I did finally find the "Properties" section and followed the instructions in the video.

The result is that I now have TWO printers listed:

HP ENVY 5000 series (CBBD64)/App available for this device

HP ENVY 5000 series (CBBD64)/Driver is unavailable

When I went to the new second listing to see what choices I had, it appears that this is related only to the scanning feature of the HP ENVY 5000 series.

Next step?

HP Recommended

SUCCESS!!!!

I was so tired of this that I didn't select the printer correctly. I just printed a page and crossing my fingers that this continues to work. Thank you so much for your help!

HP Recommended

@RGaitherNM Happens to the best of us, that said, I'm glad its been sorted,

And if you need anything else, feel free to write to us, any time.

Have an awesome day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.