Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Dell 5559 Laptop / HP ENVY Photo 7130
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Up to now the HP Smart app in Windows 10 has been good and worked perfectly. However since the latest update I can't do any scanning with the printer and HP Smart as it keeps coming up with the following error once the document has been scanned;

Error.

Ther was a problem loading your Smart Task. Please try again.

If either the Cancel or Retry buttons are clicked the whole HP Smart locks up and the only way to close it down is by going into Task Manager and forcing it to close there. There does seem to be any way around this problem as all the other functions in the HP Smart app are working but the Smart Task is preventing me doing any scanning. From the online forums I've looked at (doing a Google search) there appears to be many with this same problem but as yet no solution of how to get the HP Smart app to scan without this error problem.

Is there any way to resolve this in the HP Smart app? I can't recall Smart Task being part of the scanning for the HP Smart app until it was updated and until that it was workign perfectly. To me HP needs to backtrack on the update and have another one with the Smart Task removed until such time they can get it to work for everyone. For so many people to be affected, as witnessed on other forums, there's a major bug in the program concerning Smart Task. How about a version of HP Smart withoutthe Smart Task in it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you are having problems with the HP Smart app the new feature Smart Tasks

A new version of HP Smart has been released and uploaded to the Microsoft Store.

This version has fixes in for Smart Task problems.

To update the App

On the taskbar, select the Microsoft Store icon.
If you don't see the Microsoft Store icon on the taskbar, it might have been unpinned. To pin it, select the Start button, type Microsoft Store, select Microsoft Store , then choose More > Pin to taskbar .
Select More > Downloads and updates, and choose the Get updates button.

If you need more info on updating Windows Store apps please chack out this link

JonW

I work for HP

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

I have the same problem - have tried HP doctor etc. nothing seems to work - only the trial scan after error scanning . Then it starts all over again when I go back to "normal" scanning

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem which has just started - all scanning without problem last week.  I wasn't aware there had been an update. How can I find out what update occured and can I reverse it? Rubbish!

HP Recommended

@HCD1 wrote:

I have the exact same problem which has just started - all scanning without problem last week.  I wasn't aware there had been an update. How can I find out what update occured and can I reverse it? Rubbish!

For me too as it was fine last week when I was scanning but not now. I did a search online and found many others with the same probvlem. This to me suggests there's a major flaw/bug in the HP Smart app with the Smart Task which isn't smart in any way when rendering the app unusable for scanning. HP need to sort this out or remove Smart Task from the app.

I've got Smart Task disabled but it still attempts to open after a document has scanned and locks up the program rendering it unusable.

HP Recommended

@JensF wrote:

I have the same problem - have tried HP doctor etc. nothing seems to work - only the trial scan after error scanning . Then it starts all over again when I go back to "normal" scanning

I've done all that too and also attempted to reinstall the printer drivers but still the error comes up. With the number of people experiencing this error it suggests to me there's a major bug or flaw in the Smart Task part of the app and it needs to be removed from the app to enable scanning to work for everyone. Then when Smart Task works without an error locking everything up it can be included.

This major error with Smart Task has now effectively left us with All-in-One devices as just printers.

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue and my scanning is piling up!  HP - Please help ASAP!!!

HP Recommended

I'm having the exact same problem. I hadn't thought about the recent update until now, since I haven't tried to scan a document until today, but it's true that this seems to be connected.

I'm running Windows 10 with the latest update and am able to print documents without a problem, but am getting that same error message when I try to scan. I didn't even have Smart Tasks enabled on my driver. I tried enabling Smart Tasks (without setting up any Smart Tasks), but that didn't help. It's good to know that it's an HP problem, and not just a problem I'm having.

Having had the program freeze up 5 times, and had to open the Task Manager to shut it down each time, I'm giving up and just using my phone to scan documents until HP figures this out. ...I hope soon!

HP Recommended

I had the same problem. I updated the software again and reinstalled Scan Doctor etc etc. Tried all sorts and then I noticed the new Smart Tasks icon. I went to Printer Settings clicked on Smart Tasks, then ENABLED SMART TASKS, then did a test and hey presto I was able to Scan.

What a waste of time though. Why with the update weren't we just advised to do this?

HP Recommended

I tried doing that. I now have the Smart Tasks feature showing in the lower left corner, but it didn't fix the scanning problem. Also, when I try clicking on the new Smart Tasks feature I get the message "There was a problem with your Smart Task. Please try again." This time the app doesnt freeze up like it does when I try to scan, but the only options are to hit "retry" or "cancel". Retry doesn't work.

One other thing I notice, is that sometimes when I reopen the app it puts me in a screen where it wants me to set up the printer again. When I click the "set up" button, it just asks me for the zip code in which the printer is located and then after a delay it shows it's ready to print. I'm not sure if this is connected, but it's also a new issue.

HP Recommended

I tried this also and it is not working for me

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.