Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet pro 6978
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Had to remove everything related to my printer then reinstall. Printer is working now but can't find the software package that was on my Windows desktop that allowed me to manage my printer. It showed ink levels, testing tabs, tabs for copy, fax and scan. I don't know the name of the software or where to get it again. Help please!

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@wingrider6 

Here you go...

Full Feature Software

HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 All-in-One Print and Scan Driver and Accessories

After installation, the Printer Assistant icon named for your printer is added to the Desktop

Printer_Assistant_Shortcut_Icon_on_DesktopPrinter_Assistant_Shortcut_Icon_on_Desktop

HP Smart for Windows

HP Smart is an application available from the Windows Store.

Learn how to use HP Smart on your Windows 10 computer.

Open the Software and Drivers Support Website for your printer > Check the Box Get the App

OR

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Windows 10)

NOTE:  Website includes the HP Smart software for Windows and Mobile devices, plus an FAQ section to assist with questions / issues

HP Smart Tasks for Windows and HP Smart Mobile

HP Printers - HP Smart: Use Smart Tasks

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Well I'll try that setup thing again but you can't believe how many times I've been through that, in fact this is my third occurrence of that software in my download folder. But I just ran through the whole thing again but no icon for Printer Assistant on my desktop. If it is loaded on my computer, just no icon, where can I find the software (what folders will it be in)? What would be the name of the file?

HP Recommended

@wingrider6 

It sounds like the installation is failing to complete all the way.

That being the case, repeating the same methods won't likely provide different results.

In answer to your question, the software is segmented into a couple main folder hierarchies

C:\Program Files\HP

C:\Program Files (x86)\HP

There is no way to "fix" an installation from within the folders, though in some cases, if you know what you are about, you can force some results.

What to do?

Offline Doctor V5.0.6

• Download and Save this doctor to your computer
  • Open File Explorer > Navigate to the folder in which you saved the file (likely Downloads)
  • Execute the doctor – Answer any prompts /  let the process complete
  • Restart the computer, log in, and wait for the final steps in the Doctor to finish.
  • Check for any difference.

Version = V5.0.6

➡️  HPPSdr_5.0.6.exe

NOTES – Contributed by ShlomiL

Paraphrased

Connection Issues

• Print and Scan Doctor Version 5.0.6 creates a secondary queue for printing with TCP/IP port.

Loss of Color Printing

• If the color printing is not yet offered, try printing using the newly added print queue. 
  • Verify results, then set the newly added printer as the default.

Details: Windows10 - No Color option available when printing to a network connected printer

Check

If necessary, Adjust the “Default” printing device (Default Printer)

Open Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers

Right-Click on the printer NOT marked as “Scan Only / DO NOT DELETE”

Set printer as Default

Example – Printers listed in Devices and Printers

Set “Default” Printer = HP OfficeJet Pro 9020 series PCL-3

Keep in Device list = Scan Only -HP OfficeJet Pro 9020 series PCL-3 (Network)-DO NOT DELETE

==============================================================================

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I had downloaded and run the doctor before but I ran it again, and again, and again--same results. I still do not have the printer assistant on my desktop.  One thing that did happen is a second version of my printer showed up in the Doctor, only it had (net) behind it. I ran Doctor using that, it stated it was not my default printer would I like to make it so. I ran with No first time, went back second time and select Yes but the Doctor will not move on from that screen with Yes. I also ran Doctor using the printer in my Devices and Printers folder but still no help.

HP Recommended

Ran Doctor again but didn't fix anything. But I noticed at the end there was a list of items, one said to Uninstall Reinstall printer. What the heck, give it a try. When all done I now have the icon for Print Assistant. HOWEVER, now I'm back where I started several days ago--NO COLOR printing!!!!  Device and Printers:My Printer:Printer Preferences:Paper Quality--no color option in window. Printer Properties:Device Settings:Installable Options:Automatic Duplexing Unit:Not Installed.  Not installed is greyed out so I cannot select it.  All of this was working before but all of a sudden I lost all color printing ability.  Had HP printers forever--all the way back to dot matrix--but this one takes the cake. Must be time to move on to Epson or something else.

HP Recommended

@wingrider6 

Edits - Updates

OK, we crossed posts.

The color printing is also supposed to be repaired by this special version of the Doctor (see TKB article).

TKB article contributed by HP Expert  ShlomiL 

Symptoms:  No color options are shown under Printing Preferences when printing to a network-connected printer from a Windows 10 PC

Solution:  Download and Install Doctor version 5.0.6 > HPPSdr_5.0.6.exe

Details: Windows10 - No Color option available when printing to a network connected printer

What else?

Check and run any Windows Updates - some of the recent havoc is being repaired by newer updates from Windows.  There is no guarantee, of course, that this is "your issue", but it is a know contributor to some of the recent problems for some printers.

==============================================================================

Yes, you would want to check the default printer after the doctor concludes.

And, yes, you would have wanted to set the default printer to the "net" printer and not the "Do Not Delete" option.

The software is not installing, though it is odd that this version of the Doctor did not initially fix the issue.

Can you print using the HP Smart for Windows Application??

HP Smart for Windows

HP Smart is an application available from the Windows Store.

Learn how to use HP Smart on your Windows 10 computer.

Open the Software and Drivers Support Website for your printer > Check the Box Get the App

OR

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Windows 10)

NOTE:  Website includes the HP Smart software for Windows and Mobile devices, plus an FAQ section to assist with questions / issues

===========================================================

@ShlomiL 

Before I get into a tangle with asking the customer to check / remove printer software lurking in various corners, can you provide a bit of advice on how best to proceed?

Seems that the 5.0.6 doctor has been run "again and again" with mixed results but not the desired outcome.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hallelujah,  I believe ALL problems are solved. I ran Doctor one more time and he even fixed the color problem. It's been a very exasperating three days but think I have all fixed. Why running this program--OJ6970_Full_WebPack_40.12.1161--in the beginning did not fix the problem (it was the very first thing I tried 3 days ago), nor did the Doctor but it seems that something must have been corrupt that would not allow them to fix without totally uninstalling/reinstalling. Thanks for all the help.

HP Recommended

@wingrider6 

Good News.

The plain uninstall and reinstallation (first thing you tried) would ordinarily be enough.  

Keep the 5.0.6 version of the Doctor handy - for the moment, we do have two separate versions. 

"This" doctor software is better at some of the sticky issues (installations, connections, various types of corruption).

I am glad it is resolved.

Happy printing.

Side Note

If you get time, do try the HP Smart App - it has some nice features and is worth a look.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.