Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet j5780 all-in-one
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have an HP laptop running windows 7 and an HP Officejet J5780 all-in-one printer.  I was able to use the HP Solution Center to scan, copy, print, etc. without problems until a couple of months ago.  One day I opened the solution center and clicked "scan a document"  nothing happened.  No dialog box came up.  Even after going through the solutions listed below nothing happens when I try to scan a document or picture through the Solution Center.  The best outcome from these solutions was that a picture box that said "HP Scanning" briefly flashed on the screen.  I usually connect to the internet through a wireless connection, but have also tried uninstall and reinstall using a LAN connection.  I connect the computer to the router with a cable.

I have uninstalled and installed the full software several times. I tried using different browsers and going through a different user logon on my computer.

I have run updates for windows, the laptop and printer, and adobe flash.

I have have done a level 4 uninstall as suggested by persons from HP responding to questions in the support center.

I have modified the registry as suggested in another post.

I tried this solution.

If software was downloaded and extracted to your system:

1. Type %temp% in the run field

2. Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)

3. Open folder Util

4. Open folder CCC

5. If you have an HP computer run the L3uninstall.exe. If you have a non-HP computer run the L4uninstall.exe

6. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

7. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tools

8. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads​.html

9. Download the full feature software and drivers

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=dj-72018-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...=

10. Run the download to reinstall the printer

I have run the Print and Scan Doctor countless times.  A few times it showed everything working properly.  Sometimes it says "software not installed" so I click to install it.  It either doesn't work or it says there is another instance of the program running.  I go to task manager and search applications and services and cannot find another instance running. 

I have done the following:

Step 1: Unregister and reregister the Windows Installer Service

Unregister and reregister the Windows Installer Service to make sure the Windows Installer files are not missing or damaged.

1. Search Windows for run, and then select run from the list of results.

The Run dialog box opens.

2. In the Open box, type msiexec /unregister, and then click OK.

3. Open the Run dialog box again.

4. In the Open box, type msiexec /register, and then click OK.

5. Try to install the printer software again.

• If the issue persists, and you have the MSI.MSI_BPD_Scan or 2203 errors, continue to the next step.

• If the issue persists, and you have the MSI.DOT4wrp or 2753 errors, skip to the step to temporarily enable full permissions.

Step 2: Reregister the ATL.DLL file

Reregister the ATL.DLL file to install the printer software.

1. Search Windows for run, and then select run from the list of results.

The Run dialog box opens.

2. In the Open box, type regsvr32 C:\windows\system32\atl.dll, and then click OK.

3. Try to install the printer software again.

If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

Step 3: Temporarily enable full permissions for the Program Files folder

Allow full permissions for the Program Files folder to make sure you are able to create the needed directories and files.

note:

You must have administrator rights on the computer to make these changes.
  1. Open Windows Explorer or File Explorer.

2. Click C: (or your hard drive).

3. Right-click Program Files, and then click Properties.

4. In the General tab, click the read-only check box to deselect it if necessary.

5. Click Apply, select Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files, and then click OK.

6. Try to install the printer software again.

If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

Step 4: Turn off select services

Some services might prevent the printer software from installing. Turn off these services to install the software.

1. Search Windows for services, and then select Services from the list of results.

The Services window opens.

2. Double-click PML Driver (the name might vary, such as PML Driver HPZ12).

3. In the General tab, click the drop-down menu for Startup Type, and then select Disabled.

4. Click Apply, and then click OK.

5. In the Services window, double-click Net Driver HPZ12.

6. In the General tab, click the drop-down menu for Startup Type, and then select Disabled.

7. Click Apply, and then click OK.

Continue to the next step.

Step 5: Remove HPZi files

Remove HPZi files before performing a level 3 uninstall.

1. Open Windows Explorer or File Explorer.

2. Click C: (or your hard drive).

3. Double-click Windows, and then double-click System32.

4. Locate the files HPZipm12.dll and HPZinw12.dll.

5. Right-click each file, and then click Delete.

Step 6: Perform a level 3 uninstall

A level 3 uninstall is a more comprehensive uninstall than performed in previous steps.

Make sure to save and close any files before performing these steps.

1. Search Windows for util, and then select the util folder from the list of results.

The folder opens in Windows Explorer or File Explorer.

2. Make sure the folder is for the printer you are trying to install. In the address bar, you should see your printer model and software version, such as OJ6500vE709_Full_14.

3. Double-click the ccc folder.

4. Double-click the Uninstall_L3.bat file.

The utility uninstalls the software and prompts you to restart the computer.

Step 7: Reinstall the HP software

Download and install the most current HP software from the HP website.

1. Turn on the printer.

2. If your printer is connected to the computer with a USB cable, disconnect the cable from the printer.

3. Go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads.

4. If prompted, select a method to identify your printer model, and then follow the on-screen instructions to go to the download page.

5. Click Download next to the full feature driver (recommended), or click Basic Drivers for other driver options.

The problem I ran into with this one is I could not delete the HPzipw and HPzipm file so I stopped there. 

I have run the "Solutions for HP Installation Error on Windows 7."

The errors I get include: 

Digital Imaging Monitor Stopped Working

HP CUE-Scanning Flow Component has stopped working

Fatal Errors 2203 and 2732

C:\program files(x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpwtiop2.dll failed to register

With each error I look up the support solutions and run through them.  Nothing has worked. 

I use Webroot security software.  I read about the April 2017 issue and ran the fix.  I looked for any quarantine items from Monday April 24 and did not find any. 

I have, of course, turned everything off and on again.  I have plugged the printer directly into the wall instead of through a surge protector.  I have unplug all cables and then plugged them back in. 

I am able to  scan by opening the device and printers window and right clicking on the printer icon then clicking scan.  With this I am only able to scan as a tiff. or jpeg.  I need the pdf. , scan to word, ocr, searchable and editable options.

Please help.  I don't know what else to do. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try installing HP Scan Extended below and try sanning from it, it will be placed under Start > All Programs > HP:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/HPScanExt/HPScanExt.msi

Can you scan a PDF using the installed app as a workaround?

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try installing HP Scan Extended below and try sanning from it, it will be placed under Start > All Programs > HP:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/HPScanExt/HPScanExt.msi

Can you scan a PDF using the installed app as a workaround?

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

The Scan Extended app does work.  I can now scan documents as pdf.  Thank you.  I wish, however, that I could have it as searchable pdf. or editable text as the Solution Center allowed.  But I do appreciate having the ability to scan as a pdf.

HP Recommended

I am just amazed at how HP things that the solution t its Digital Imaging service not working is to have us download and use an inferior substitution.  It's a crime that I have 4 laptops, 2 of which work just fine and I can use the Scan features from Solution Center and 2 that don't recognize my imaging device at all AND that the best HP can do is suggest workarounds.  You'd lost a customer HP and don't even suggest that I uninstall and reinstall the Full Feature software.  I want you to know that I've spent at least 60 hours installing and uninstalling, running every tool you suggest and multiple other "scrubbers".  You've broken something and it's obvious that you are clueless about what it is.  Get real.  Get a real solution.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.