Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp Officejet 4620

So I bought my printer used from a friend, it's been working alright, but I've been having a few problems:

1. The buttons on the control panel haven't been working

2. I will get a message pop up on the screen that says "Counterfeit or Used, the original HP ink in one or more.." and I cannot read the rest of the message because I have to scroll down, but the buttons aren't working.

I have tried looking in the user manual, but I haven't found anything that can help me.  I am a college student and need to use my printer almost everyday so this has been very stressful. Any help would be wonderful!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Ellie33,

Thank you for writing back.

Glad to know that you have fixed the ink related issues. If you are still facing display issues, it could more likely be a hardware failure with the machine.

I would suggest you to contact HP tech support to create a service if the printer is in-warranty. You can also call tech support so that you can avail good upgrade options if your printer is already out-of-warranty.

You can visit http://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp and fill in your product details to get the tech support number.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help.

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Ellie33, Welcome to HP Support Forums!

Thanks for accessing the HP Support Forums for extra support! I would be glad to help 🙂

I understand you are having 2 main issues with the printer. The display issue and then the cartridge error message. Try the following steps to try and fix the display issue (Note: Display issues are normally hardware failures):

• Unplug the power cable while the printer is powered on.
  • Wait for 2-3 minutes and plug the power cable directly to the wall outlet (Do not use a surge protector or extension cord)
  • If you still face difficulty in accessing display menu, try using a stylus to sharpen the touch.

The message that you see on the screen is “Used or Counterfeit cartridge detected”. The message is meant to indicate refilled or counterfeit ink cartridges, but it can also occur when a genuine HP ink cartridge is depleted or almost depleted. Try following the documents below to try and fix the issue:

http://hp.care/2cCQr7k

http://hp.care/2cCRVyl

Please let me know whether that works for you. Have a great day!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

So I've fixed the problem with the ink, but I still can't figure out how to fix the buttons.  When I try to press them, nothing happens, they just stopped working and I have no idea how to fix that

HP Recommended

Hello @Ellie33,

Thank you for writing back.

Glad to know that you have fixed the ink related issues. If you are still facing display issues, it could more likely be a hardware failure with the machine.

I would suggest you to contact HP tech support to create a service if the printer is in-warranty. You can also call tech support so that you can avail good upgrade options if your printer is already out-of-warranty.

You can visit http://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp and fill in your product details to get the tech support number.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help.

Cheers 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.