Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 4522 All-In-One Printe
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

Below is an explanation of what I have tried and encountered while trying to get my printer to work:

Screenshot #1

This shows the connection failure on the left after I installed the proper software and drivers from the manufacturer's website. To the right of the connection failure are 2 setups which seemingly do the same thing. The last icon with the gears is what I received when I googled the address on the 342 error message.

Screenshot #2

This is when I tried to add my printer. I clicked add printer first. (my printer is the one highlighted in grey which says it's a 4250 model some reason when mine is 4522. I installed the setup I received when I requested the software and drivers for my 4522 model.) When the scan finished, all it detected was the one in the window on the right . When I tried add a device I got the same result. I clicked the area where it said my device/printer isn't there, it said to install it or something, but at this point, the software was already installed. It's almost as if my computer can't locate it.

Screenshot #3

Ignore the add a device window on the right. When I opened my notepad to type something to print as a test, I receive the 342 error notification, and for some reason, when I close it, the general window on the left of the screenshot opens showing my preferences and the find printer option. I clicked the find printer option but it no luck. I clicked the tiny arrow just above the preferences button to look further to the right in hopes of finding my printer there, but it wasn't.

Screenshot #4

This shows that the proper software and drivers for my model of printer are installed.

There's not much else I can tell you except these details:

-I recently did a clean install of windows 10

-Scanned my computer for hard drive errors (no issues detected.)

-Did comprehensive scans with up to date paid malware and antivirus software

-Reset modem

-Removed ink carts and reinstalled them. (When it asked me to align after I reinstalled the ink carts, it printed out a page containing color and black parts, so the printer seems to be functioning just fine I'm guessing.)

-I recently did a clean install of windows 10

-Scanned my computer for hard drive errors (no issues detected.)

-Did comprehensive scans with up to date paid malware and antivirus software

-Reset modem

-Removed ink carts and reinstalled them. (When it asked me to align after I reinstalled the ink carts, it printed out a page containing color and black parts, so the printer seems to be functioning just fine I'm guessing.)

#1 CONNECTION FAILURE.png

#2 TRIED TO ADD MY PRINTER.png

#3 ADD DEVICE ISSUE.png

#4 PROOF OF INSTALLATION.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @baraka9, I am the Mr.Robot. It looks like you were interacting with @Rainbow23, but he is out of the office today, so I'll take over from here.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

Try few steps recommended below.

If your computer uses Windows 10, downloading and installing a patch from HP might resolve the wireless install issue. If your computer does not have Windows 10, skip to the next step.
Download and run hpprinterinstallassistant.exe. When you click the link, the patch downloads using your Internet browser's download feature.
Double-click the download to run the patch.
A Tool to fix HP printer driver GDP file date issue window displays.
Click Identify Problem.
If a problem is found, click OK, click Fix Problem, click OK after the issue is fixed, and then continue with these steps.
If a problem is not found, click OK, and then continue to the next step.
Try to install the HP driver and software again.
If the error message displays, click Cancel and then continue to the next step.

Use the Devices and Printers app in Windows to install the printer by adding a new TCP/IP port.
Turn on the printer, if it is not already on.
Search Windows for devices and printers, and then select Devices and Printers from the list of results.
Click Add a printer.
If necessary, click Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer.
Click The printer that I want isn't listed.
Select Add a printer using TCP/IP address or hostname, and then click Next.
Select TCP/IP Device in the Device type drop-down menu.
Type the printer IP address in the Hostname or IP address box. For more information about obtaining the IP address, see the documentation that came with your printer.
Deselect the Query the printer and automatically select the driver to use box, and then click Next.
The computer detects the TCP/IP port.
On the Install, the printer driver window, click Windows Update.
After the update completes, select HP in the Manufacturer list, select your printer in the Printers list, and then click Next.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot unsuccessful network installation issues.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @baraka9,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are unable to connect your HP e-All-in-One Printer to your computer.

This issue could occur if the drivers are not installed properly.

Let's go through a few steps to uninstall and reinstall the drivers:

Step 1: Uninstall the Drivers:

Please follow the steps provided to uninstall the printer software in the link: Uninstalling the Printer Software (Windows)

Also, please follow the steps provided below to completely remove the printer software from printer properties.

Steps to remove printer driver files from Print Server Properties:

1. Open the Print Server Properties dialog window by doing one of the following:
    • Click the Start menu and in the search field type 'printui /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then press Enter or click it in the search list.
    • Press WINDOWS-R on the keyboard to bring up the Run window, type in 'printui /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then press Enter or click OK.
    • From the Start menu or the Start screen:
    • Open Devices and Printers.
    • Select any printer and then click "Print server properties" at the top of the window.
    • Click on the Drivers tab.
  2. Select the printer driver you wish to uninstall.
  3. Click the Remove button.
  4. Select "Remove driver and driver package" and click OK.

Step 2: Download and install the Drivers from the link: Full Feature Software and Drivers

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

WOW!

I wish I could say the issue was resolved, but I can't. Please accept my apologies for bugging you all so much, but I've never encountered such a stubborn problem in my life. What I don't understand is that my computer and printer are both HP and their warranties are still in effect, but the tech on the phone wants me to pay a fee for help. When I first got this computer, the techs were more than happy to use the remote access feature to take control of my computer in order to resolve problems. 

My black ink was #63 and when it was empty, I installed a #63 XL  and when I went to print that ordinal not found error window popped up. I noticed that when I chose to align the ink carts, it printed out a page with both black and color on it, so it seems as though the printer is functional. My software is installed, my printer shows up in the Devices and Printers, but when I right click on it, there is no option to make it a default printer. I tried connecting it by usb and wifi. Nothing. I've tried everything you all suggested and for some reason I'm failing. Let me say again how much I appreciate your patience. I can't believe this. I just can't.

HP Recommended

Hi @baraka9, I am the Mr.Robot. It looks like you were interacting with @Rainbow23, but he is out of the office today, so I'll take over from here.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

Try few steps recommended below.

If your computer uses Windows 10, downloading and installing a patch from HP might resolve the wireless install issue. If your computer does not have Windows 10, skip to the next step.
Download and run hpprinterinstallassistant.exe. When you click the link, the patch downloads using your Internet browser's download feature.
Double-click the download to run the patch.
A Tool to fix HP printer driver GDP file date issue window displays.
Click Identify Problem.
If a problem is found, click OK, click Fix Problem, click OK after the issue is fixed, and then continue with these steps.
If a problem is not found, click OK, and then continue to the next step.
Try to install the HP driver and software again.
If the error message displays, click Cancel and then continue to the next step.

Use the Devices and Printers app in Windows to install the printer by adding a new TCP/IP port.
Turn on the printer, if it is not already on.
Search Windows for devices and printers, and then select Devices and Printers from the list of results.
Click Add a printer.
If necessary, click Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer.
Click The printer that I want isn't listed.
Select Add a printer using TCP/IP address or hostname, and then click Next.
Select TCP/IP Device in the Device type drop-down menu.
Type the printer IP address in the Hostname or IP address box. For more information about obtaining the IP address, see the documentation that came with your printer.
Deselect the Query the printer and automatically select the driver to use box, and then click Next.
The computer detects the TCP/IP port.
On the Install, the printer driver window, click Windows Update.
After the update completes, select HP in the Manufacturer list, select your printer in the Printers list, and then click Next.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot unsuccessful network installation issues.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Resolved. Thank you very much.:)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.