Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In July 2017 I purchased an Envy 4520 printer and enrolled in the Instant Ink program.  Due to connectivity issues,  I ended up using a USB cable connection with setup help from HP team.   I was billed and paid accordingly as per my plan and even received replacement cartridges.  Instant Ink now says my printer is not connected to Internet.   After contacting the HP support team for resolution, I am told that Instant Ink only works with wireless. As a result, I have reluctantly cancelled my Instant Ink subscription because the 3 agents I chatted with were adamant that Instant Ink only works with a wireless setup.  So what was going on during those 7 months when it worked with a cable connection?              

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @InstaInkGuy

Welcome to HP Forums. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

I understand that you have some concerns regarding the Instant Ink Account

You can enroll and use Instant Ink over both Wireless or Ethernet. Both ways will work as long as the printer is connected online.

I apologize for all the inconvenience you went through.

I would request you to contact our Instant Ink Team and they should be able to sort this out.

Click Here, select your Country and the Instant Ink Number for your Country will show up

Thank you.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi KrazyToad,

The first place I tried to resolve this problem was with the Instant Ink help chat.  Because my printer showed as "offline" I was redirected to the HP technical help chat.  The agent also told me that the connection had to be wireless.  So, off to the tech help..... and told twice that the printer connection had to be wireless.  When I first started my subscription in July 2017,  I had the great fortune to be assisted by someone in HP help that made the connection with USB cable without having wi-fi or a router.  Oh, to be able to find that person again!   I really don't want to give up Instant Ink but it seems that I am not very lucky in finding someone at HP who can help this time around.  I will try contacting Instant Ink help again but I'm not feeling very optimistic that there will be a positive resolution.    

HP Recommended

Bottom line, the printer needs to connect to the Internet about twice a month in order to send Instant Ink data.

A USB cable connected printer is never on the Internet.

But remember, you can have USB and Wireless at the same time.

HP Recommended

What an ambiguous reply.

HP Recommended

Which means you were probably connected via wireless and USB at the same time so that why Instant Ink worked.

HP Recommended

Did you ever get this resolved?? I have the same issue except I have had my printer for 3 years. All of a sudden, it is not printing. I have done nothing differently. If you resolved this, please let me know

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.