Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 5544
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Driver and SW downloaded (twice) for the printer, but still I'm unable to change between black and white and colour printing. Need help to find out how to fix.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, @Beijan

Thanks for the update!

It looks like an issue with the Microsoft Office application. try the steps below to try and fix the issue:

• In Word, click on "File" - "Options".
  • Click on "Display" - Select the box which says "Print background colors and images".
  • Click Ok to save the settings and then try to print.

If the issue persists, then try the steps below:

1) Go to Control panel - Devices and printers - Right-click on Officejet 8620 and select "Printing Preferences". Click on "Advanced" tab and make sure the "Advanced printing features" are enabled. Now try to print. If the issue persists, go to the next step.

2) Go to Control panel - Programs and features - Locate Microsoft office package - Right-click and select "Change" option. You will get an MS Office pop-up window. Select the "Repair" option and select "Continue". Follow the on-screen instructions to repair the office package. Once done try to print and check.

Let me know if that helps!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello, @Beijan - Hope you are well 🙂

Welcome to the HP Forums, I'd be happy to help you with your printer issue!

Going through your post, I understand that are facing issues while changing the print settings between color & black and white printing on your HP Envy printer. It looks like an issue with the print driver settings on your PC. Try the steps below to try and fix the same:

1. Go to Control Panel – Devices and Printers.
  2. Right-click on Envy 5544 and select “Printing Preferences”.
  3. Navigate to print quality / layout tab and make sure that the color printing option is selected.
  4. Save the settings and check for issue resolution.

If the issue persists, then I’d suggest to completely reinstall the drivers as suggested below:

• Unplug the USB cable from the printer and computer if present.
  • Go to Control Panel – Programs and Feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now click on http://hp.care/2rnDIuX to download and install the printer drivers.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.

Those steps should do the trick, let me know the outcome!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks for coming back to me.

I've followd all your proposed steps and  I'm stillm unable to print word- and excel document in colour, PP and Gmail works. 

Not possible to select print quality/layout tab under printing preferencese as there is no such option there.

We have one more laptop in the family and at that one this option works.

HP Recommended

Hello, @Beijan

Thanks for the update!

It looks like an issue with the Microsoft Office application. try the steps below to try and fix the issue:

• In Word, click on "File" - "Options".
  • Click on "Display" - Select the box which says "Print background colors and images".
  • Click Ok to save the settings and then try to print.

If the issue persists, then try the steps below:

1) Go to Control panel - Devices and printers - Right-click on Officejet 8620 and select "Printing Preferences". Click on "Advanced" tab and make sure the "Advanced printing features" are enabled. Now try to print. If the issue persists, go to the next step.

2) Go to Control panel - Programs and features - Locate Microsoft office package - Right-click and select "Change" option. You will get an MS Office pop-up window. Select the "Repair" option and select "Continue". Follow the on-screen instructions to repair the office package. Once done try to print and check.

Let me know if that helps!

Good luck 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.