Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 11 (161 Views)

“Unable to contact printer”

Product Name: no Envy 4527 All in one printe

Hi, Just purchased today a hp Envy 4527 and successfully set it up and printed several documents from both my iPad and iPhone. I then unplugged it and moved it to the office. Plugged it in again and it would not print anymore with a message “contacting printer”. I moved it back into the living room and still it wouldn’t work. I naturally turned everything off - printer, router, mobile devices. Then turned everything on again and ensured the printer was connected to our WiFi (repeated network set up on the printer) - still no joy printing* with the message “contacting printer” fixed on the iPad screen. Do you have any further suggestions to correct the fault please? Regards 

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 11 (138 Views)

Re: “Unable to contact printer”

Hi @Clock-man,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

This is a wonderful place to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips.

I reviewed your post and understand that you are unable to print and getting an error message.

I’d love to help!

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

Is the printer connected to the network? Check the wireless light. If the light is steady blue, then the printer is connected to the network. If the light is flashing, then the printer is not connected to the network. Go to Setup - Network - Wireless setup wizard to connect the printer to the network.

Once the printer is connected to the network, then assign a static IP to the printer:

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Now, try the steps below to install the printer over the network:

• First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Open the Run window (Press Windows logo key + R), type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.
  • Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.
  • Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.
  • Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well.
  • Click on http://hp.care/2nikIQ9 and install the software.
  • Select Wireless option on the connection page and then finish the installation.

Let me know how it goes.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

Good day! Take care Smiley Happy

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

Top Student
Message 3 of 11 (132 Views)

Hi The_Fossette,

Thanks for the reply.

I must point out that I’m not that technical and the solution sounds overly complex for me.

I find it hard to understand why having successfully installed and used the printer with our iPads and iPhones I now need to go through this rigmarole.

The only devices that are to use the printer are our iPads and iPhones. Therefore is your solution appropriate for this set up?

Regards clock-man
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 11 (129 Views)

Hi @Clock-man,

Alright, if you are using only the iPhone and the iPad, then I recommend you to follow below steps and check.

Resetting the printer can help restore a connection to the iPhone and iPad.

1. If the printer is off, turn on the printer, and then check the status of the printer.

• If the printer starts printing jobs from the print queue, your printer is clearing out queued print jobs and is online. You can stop troubleshooting.

• If the printer goes to an idle state after its startup routine, it might be online.

• If the computer still shows the printer as offline, continue using these steps.

2. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.

3. Unplug the printer power cord from the wall outlet.

4. Wait at least 60 seconds. Restart the computer while you are waiting.

5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

7. If the printer does not turn on by itself, press the Power button to turn it on.

8. Make sure the printer is connected to the computer or the network.

9. Try printing again and note what happens.

• If the printer prints, you can stop troubleshooting.
    • If the print job becomes stuck again, continue to the next step.

• Print with HP Smart (HP Smart does not use Airprint)
  • Supports JPG, PDF, and Office Doc printing
  • Print with other iOS apps that don’t use Airprint

HP Smart app can be downloaded and installed from this link: http://hp.care/2vtKpfK look under the section for Apple iOS.

It gives you steps on how to download, install, use the app with FAQs.

This should do the trick for you.

Let me know how it goes.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

Good day! Take care Smiley Happy

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

Top Student
Message 5 of 11 (101 Views)

Hi The_Fossette,

well, a lot of today was spent trying to resolve the issue.

Starting just before 6am I contacted Apple Support using their chat line. To cut a very long story short I was passed to a senior technician who after almost 3 hours, (yes, 3 hours), restarting, resetting etc. could not see why it wasn’t working.

However, during the course of our investigations the printer did manage to print once from NOTES on my iPad and after a very long wait an email printed from my wife’s iPad eventually printed. 

For much of the time we continually got the message on screen “contacting printer” and nothing ever printed. 

The Apple technician couldn’t understand why the printer showed-up in the WiFi area of Settings as a network and password protected. 

After 3 hours we had to concede defeat and stopped working on the problem. 

After that I did a simple test of loading the printer driver for the printer onto my lap top. I was instantly able to print from my lap top to the printer. 

I then decided to return the printer to the store believing there must be an intermittent fault. The techy at the store said that he had one of these models at home but only uses it from his lap top and has never tried to use it via his smart phone or tablet. Shame. 

We agreed on a straight swap like for like printer and I’ll have another go at installing it in a day or so.

I am very disappointed that this relatively simple task has taken so much of my time without resolution.  

I’ll be in touch to let you know how the next attempt goes in a few days. 

Regards Clock-man

HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 11 (74 Views)

Hi @Clock-man,

Thank you for keeping me posted.

I recommend you to try the steps I have provided in my previous post and I am positive that it will take care of the issue.

Please post your results, as I will be looking forward to hearing from you.

Good day!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

Top Student
Message 7 of 11 (57 Views)

Hi again,

I haven't yet started to install the new printer but have another question for you. 

When I was installing the first printer I took up the offer of the ‘hp instant ink program’.  What will the effect be on the program of installing the new printer?

Will the installation of the new printer supersede my registration to the program and start monitoring ink usage on the new printer or should I cancel my registration and start over re the program?

regards Clock-man

HP Support Agent
Message 8 of 11 (47 Views)

Hey @Clock-man,

This document will not only answer that question, but it will guide you through the process of replacing the printer on your account: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04754134

Please let me know if you have any other Instant Ink questions, and for account specific help please provide me with either your Instant Ink account or the email address associated to your account. Please do not post this information publicly, instead, send me a private message. 

How To Send A Private Message - https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More/How-To-Send-A-Private-Messa...

Cheers,
Lisa
 - HP Instant Ink Support

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

Top Student
Message 9 of 11 (46 Views)

Hi, new printer installed and all working correctly.

Many thanks for your help and advice. 

Regards Clock-man

HP Support Agent
Message 10 of 11 (46 Views)

Fantastic, glad to hear it! Smiley Happy 

Lisa 
- HP Instant Ink

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation