Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Enterprise M553dn
macOS 10.14 Mojave

Unable to proceed to connect my Mac to my new printer. Going round in circles with it. It tells me to go to 123.hp.com/laserjet but I can't get there. Unable to connect using the supplied disk also. Cannot get the installation file, or it leads me to the HP Envy printer, no matter what I do. Can someone please advise–in simple terms preferably! Thanks, Bob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

From your post I am having a hard time discerning where the process is breaking down.

When you try and access http://123.hp.com/laserjet do you get an error? 

Do you get the page and the large download button but selecting Download does not download HP Easy Start?

Do you get HP Easy Start but when you run the app it dows not see the LaserJet 553?  Or doe sthe software se ethe 553 but not find the software to download?

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

From your post I am having a hard time discerning where the process is breaking down.

When you try and access http://123.hp.com/laserjet do you get an error? 

Do you get the page and the large download button but selecting Download does not download HP Easy Start?

Do you get HP Easy Start but when you run the app it dows not see the LaserJet 553?  Or doe sthe software se ethe 553 but not find the software to download?

HP Recommended

Iron Badger

Instruction  manual methods for installing my printer on my Mac:

Method 1. This takes me to HP Easy Start but this only leads me to my HP Envy printer and drivers for that.

Method 2.  When I click on www.hp.com/support/colorljM553 I reach a page where I'm asked for my MAC operating system. I choose Mac OS, and version Mac OS 10.14 Mojave. At this point the screen freezes and I can go no further. The message tells me 'No software or drivers are available for this product with the selected operating system. Please make a different selection.'  

I can't do that because that is my Mac operating system and version.

The supplied product CD is only for Windows. Please advise Iron Badger, thank you

HP Recommended

Ok.  Hp Easy Start should indeed see the Color LaserJet M553 on your network.  I sthe printer currently connected to the same network as your Envy?  Can you print out a Current Configuration page an verify the printer has a valid IP address and is connected to the newtork? 

Was the Color LaserJet purchased new or used?  If used then the network discovery for macOS (Bonjour) may be disabled.

A Reset Factory Defaults would remedy that particular situation.  The proceedure to do this from teh front control panel is below.  After the reset try using HP Easy Start again.

FutureSmart 3

1. Press the Home  button on the printer control panel.
  2. Open the following menus:
    1. Administration
    2. General Settings
    3. Restore Factory Settings
    A verification message advises that completing the reset function might result in loss of data.
  3. Select Reset to complete the process.
   NOTE:
The printer restarts automatically after the reset operation completes.

I also just wanted to add a link to the Embedded Web Server Users Guide which may be helpful if you need to configure the printer settings.  
HP Recommended

I rang HP in London [edit]. I explained the problem and they took control of my computer and resolved the problem within about 10 minutes. The HP printer had to be enabled in the printer's control box. Thank you HP.

HP Recommended

I rang HP in London [edit]. I explained the problem and they took control of my computer and resolved the problem within about 10 minutes. The HP printer had to be enabled in the printer's control box.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.