Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I try again and again to install the driver and follow the instruction from below link but still cannot install. I start windows at minimal and even create new user but cannot run.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Software-and-Drivers/not-able-to-install-a-driver-for-MFP-M177f...

I use windows 10 try to connect with wireless option as the printer is in another room. The printer is connected to router and ping is passthrough. But during installation, the installation software cannot find the printer. I provide IP number to the installer but nothing help.

Is anything I can do to install? Thanks.

Rgds,

Tony Thk

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @TonyThk,

Thanks for showing interest in the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you're unable to install the printer wirelessly. I would be happy to help you and please remember to return to this thread and mark 'Accept as Solution', if I have successfully helped you resolve the issue. If you wish to say 'thanks' for my effort to help, click the 'thumbs up' to give me a Kudos.

I see that you have followed the steps from the post that you mentioned. In addition to those steps, I would try the following. 

Tips for successful wireless connection:

• What encryption type are you using? HP recommends WPA or WPA2. 
  • Use a unique network name (SSID).
  • Avoid using Mac Address Filtering on the router. 
  • Make sure you have 802.11g enabled.
  • The printer cannot connect to the 5.0 GHz network. If you have a dual-band router, the 2.4 GHz, and 5.0 GHz network names should not be the same. Rename the 5.0 GHz network.
  • Do not hide your SSID (network name).
  • Change the router to a fixed wireless channel like 1, 6 or 11, which has less traffic.
  • Do you have a switch or an additional router?
  • Do not use a guest network (SSID).
  • Disable UPnP on the router.
  • Set router to 20Mhz only, or 145Mbps depending on the router.
  • Update the router's firmware.

Turn off IPV6 from the printer's front panel menu:

1. Setup Menu
  2. Network Setup
  3. Network Services
  4. IPV6, Select Off.

If the issue persists, you might be experiencing an IP address conflict. It is a good idea to assign the printer a static IP address, outside your DHCP range. For example, some routers DHCP default range is 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.200. So, I would use 192.168.0.232. 

To assign the static IP address, use these steps as a guideline.

1. Print a Network Configuration Page from the printer's front panel menu. Note the printer's IPV4 IP address.
  2. Type the IP address into your internet browser to bring up the EWS.
  3. Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless on the left side, then select the IPv4 tab.
  4. Select Manual IP. 
  5. Enter your manual IP address of (192.168.0.232)
  6. Enter  255.255.255.0 for the subnet mask, unless it is different.
  7. Enter your router's IP address which can be found on the Network Configuration Page) for the default gateway.
  8. Please click Manual DNS Server. For the Manual Preferred DNS Server please enter 8.8.8.8 and for the Manual Alternate DNS Server please enter 8.8.4.4.
  9. Click Apply.
  10. Reboot the router, printer and computer.
  11. Test printing.

Ensure your router and firewall are not blocking these ports.

• UDP ports: 427, 137, 161
  • TCP port: 9100
  • Photo card upload:
  • UDP ports: 137, 138, 427
  • TCP port: 139
  • Scanning:
  • UDP port: 427
  • TCP ports: 9220, 9500
  • HP device status:
  • UDP port: 161
  • Faxing:
  • TCP port: 9220
  • HP device installation:
  • Web Services Ports:
  • UDP and TCP: 80, 443, 5222, and 5223
  • Bonjour Ports:
  • UDP and TCP: 5353, 5297, and 5298

Update the printer's firmware:

• Click here to download and install the printer's firmware update.
  • Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet (don't use a power bar or a surge protector). 
  • What were the results when you ran the Print and Scan Doctor (did it print or scan, any error messages)?
  • Try installing the printer USB. 

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. Good Luck! 🙂

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @TonyThk,

Thanks for showing interest in the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you're unable to install the printer wirelessly. I would be happy to help you and please remember to return to this thread and mark 'Accept as Solution', if I have successfully helped you resolve the issue. If you wish to say 'thanks' for my effort to help, click the 'thumbs up' to give me a Kudos.

I see that you have followed the steps from the post that you mentioned. In addition to those steps, I would try the following. 

Tips for successful wireless connection:

• What encryption type are you using? HP recommends WPA or WPA2. 
  • Use a unique network name (SSID).
  • Avoid using Mac Address Filtering on the router. 
  • Make sure you have 802.11g enabled.
  • The printer cannot connect to the 5.0 GHz network. If you have a dual-band router, the 2.4 GHz, and 5.0 GHz network names should not be the same. Rename the 5.0 GHz network.
  • Do not hide your SSID (network name).
  • Change the router to a fixed wireless channel like 1, 6 or 11, which has less traffic.
  • Do you have a switch or an additional router?
  • Do not use a guest network (SSID).
  • Disable UPnP on the router.
  • Set router to 20Mhz only, or 145Mbps depending on the router.
  • Update the router's firmware.

Turn off IPV6 from the printer's front panel menu:

1. Setup Menu
  2. Network Setup
  3. Network Services
  4. IPV6, Select Off.

If the issue persists, you might be experiencing an IP address conflict. It is a good idea to assign the printer a static IP address, outside your DHCP range. For example, some routers DHCP default range is 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.200. So, I would use 192.168.0.232. 

To assign the static IP address, use these steps as a guideline.

1. Print a Network Configuration Page from the printer's front panel menu. Note the printer's IPV4 IP address.
  2. Type the IP address into your internet browser to bring up the EWS.
  3. Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless on the left side, then select the IPv4 tab.
  4. Select Manual IP. 
  5. Enter your manual IP address of (192.168.0.232)
  6. Enter  255.255.255.0 for the subnet mask, unless it is different.
  7. Enter your router's IP address which can be found on the Network Configuration Page) for the default gateway.
  8. Please click Manual DNS Server. For the Manual Preferred DNS Server please enter 8.8.8.8 and for the Manual Alternate DNS Server please enter 8.8.4.4.
  9. Click Apply.
  10. Reboot the router, printer and computer.
  11. Test printing.

Ensure your router and firewall are not blocking these ports.

• UDP ports: 427, 137, 161
  • TCP port: 9100
  • Photo card upload:
  • UDP ports: 137, 138, 427
  • TCP port: 139
  • Scanning:
  • TCP ports: 9220, 9500
  • HP device status:
  • UDP port: 161
  • Faxing:
  • TCP port: 9220
  • HP device installation:
  • Web Services Ports:
  • UDP and TCP: 80, 443, 5222, and 5223
  • Bonjour Ports:
  • UDP and TCP: 5353, 5297, and 5298

Update the printer's firmware:

• Click here to download and install the printer's firmware update.
  • Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet (don't use a power bar or a surge protector). 
  • What were the results when you ran the Print and Scan Doctor (did it print or scan, any error messages)?
  • Try installing the printer USB. 

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. Good Luck! 🙂

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended
Sorry for late reply. Thanks for the solution. Just disable IPV6, the printer is work for me. TonyThk
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.