Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 5252
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've never had a problem installing any vendors printers on a home network before.

My wife and I purchased a new HP OfficeJet 5252 (to replace an older Epson XP-410 with dead print head) and attempted to install the software and drivers from the 123.HP.com quick setup. After a successful download from that website, the process stalled in its attempt to find the printer on the network. I performed a manual setup of the printer on the LCD front panel of the printer to connect it to the router (Linksys EA6350 running both channels 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz). It connected and I was able to print the HP Network Cofiguration Page showing its dynamically allocated IP address the printer had received from the router and the correct Network Name (SSID).

I go back to attempt the software install again (Manual setup, this time... providing the specific IP address I KNOW the printer has been assigned) and it times out saying it can't discover the printer on the network.

I went through the entire downloading of HP tools to trouble shoot printer installation. While I am busy with all that, my wife says "On searching the web someone makes the comment that the 5Ghz channel on the router needs to be disabled". That didn't make sense that it would be true, but it did cause me to scan through the front panel of the printer to see if it had a setting for rate/speed. The panel said 5Ghz was enabled. I disabled it. The printer did not drop off the network. It retained the same IP address and connection. I reattempted installation of the software and drivers for the new printer and *BINGO*, THIS time it sailed through installation like it's supposed to.

I don't have any reasonable explanation as to why it would not be discoverable on the network (when the printer said it was connected after my direct manual setup on the front panel). It may still be a setting on my router that was causing it to connect but not be "discoverable", but disabling the 5Ghz rate on the printer allowed the installation software from HP to finally see it and now everything works fine.

Scott in Texas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@SNAyliffe

Welcome to the HP Forums, this is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that you had printer connectivity issue.

Brilliant troubleshooting and terrific observations made before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

Good to know that issue is resolved.

Feel free to contact us in future if you need any assistance.

Please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others and please give the same public post a Kudos for my efforts to help.
Take care and have a blessed week ahead

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@SNAyliffe

Welcome to the HP Forums, this is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that you had printer connectivity issue.

Brilliant troubleshooting and terrific observations made before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

Good to know that issue is resolved.

Feel free to contact us in future if you need any assistance.

Please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others and please give the same public post a Kudos for my efforts to help.
Take care and have a blessed week ahead

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.