Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 7740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We have an OfficeJet Pro 7740 and Windows 10 x64 computers.

Upon installing the full feature software and drivers, it is unable to locate the printer and complete the install.

We can ping the printer and it replies back, but the installer still can't see it.

I've ran wireshark and I can see the printer passing some soft of configuration xml document to the computer, but nothing after that.

We've tried ethernet and wireless connections. Installing via USB onto a laptop then converting to wireless doesn't work either.

All firewalls/antivirus have been disabled. The printer has been factory reset.

Any ideas out there??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@MIchaelBolton

Thanks for keeping me posted

Please ensure the printer has the latest Firmware. You can refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/th-en/document/c02919168

If the issue persists, let's assign a Manual IP Address and check if that helps

1) Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address or print a Network Configuration Page
2) Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
3) Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
4) Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
5) Click Manual IP
6) If you see a Suggest a Manual IP Address button, click Manual IP address, and the Manual IP addresses are automatically filled out for you.
7) If your page does not have a button to suggest a manual IP address, type the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway using the numbers shown in the report you printed.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@MIchaelBolton

Try uninstalling the printer drivers from root level first, then download the full feature software

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
2.) Select your HP Printer 
3.) Select Uninstall 
4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.
7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab 
9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
10.) Select Ok 
11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
12.) Close Devices and Printers
13.) Restart the computer and download the Full Feature Software from Here and follow the onscreen Instructions

Keep me posted how it goes 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi KT,

No luck I'm afraid. I made it to the following screen - Unsuccessful Network Installation.

This is the same brick wall I've been hitting every time I try to install this printer. Any more ideas?

Thanks,

MB

7740-Fail.png

HP Recommended

@MIchaelBolton

Try using the HP Smart App to setup the printer. Please follow the instructions in this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04675142

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

No luck with that either I'm afraid. I clicked the plus, it found the printer, I clicked the printer, but then it said the printer is offline.

Screenshot below...

7740-Fail2.png

HP Recommended

@MIchaelBolton

Please ensure the printer has the latest Firmware. You can refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/th-en/document/c02919168

If the issue persists, let's assign a Manual IP Address and check if that helps

1) Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address or print a Network Configuration Page
2) Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
3) Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
4) Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
5) Click Manual IP
6) If you see a Suggest a Manual IP Address button, click Manual IP address, and the Manual IP addresses are automatically filled out for you.
7) If your page does not have a button to suggest a manual IP address, type the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway using the numbers shown in the report you printed.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi KT,

So setting the IP manually has worked.

Any ideas why the DHCP setting was taking the printer offline?

I've used the exact same IP that the printer was assigned by DHCP.

Cheers,

MB

HP Recommended

@MIchaelBolton

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out

You can refer to this Link: https://whatismyipaddress.com/keeps-changing to know more about dynamic IP Address.

Note: This is not an HP Website and HP is not responsible for any Ads that might show up

Thank you and have a great week ahead 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi KT,

The issue was not caused by the IP addresses changing. We have a 30 day lease on our DHCP addresses.

This printer has had the same IP address from the day it was first switched on.

Setting it to static IP (the exact same IP/subnet mask/gateway that it had with DHCP) has allowed us to connect to it, but we cannot understand why.

It's a little frustrating, but at least we can use this printer now!

MB

HP Recommended

@MIchaelBolton

Do visit our HP Support Community and drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.