Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8600.
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I've been using the same HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 (p/n CM749A) since getting my MacBook Pro last March.  After updating my MacBook Pro to Mojave Ver. 10.14.6, I lost the ability to print, but can still access the scanner.  The print job shows up in the printing queue which eventually shows it as completed, but I get no hardcopy from the printer.  The printer is hardwired to a wireless modem, which hasn't changed, and can still be used by a MacBook running High Sierra Ver. 10.13.6.  I've tried resetting the printing system, downloading new drivers, restarting in safe-mode to print, and re-adding the printer.  I've also spent a few hours with AppleCare Techs, the last one of the opinion that the driver was lost with the update.  Any information that would help restore printing capability would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Otto57, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Which application are you trying to print from?

Have you tried printing different types of documents like PDF, Word or Webpages and check if the issue persists?

Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Clear the print queue

On the MAC, go to system preferences > Click on your printer > Open print queue > cancel/delete all the print jobs

Image:  Print job window showing one job in process with a printer not responding message

Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest firmware from your computer.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Also, check for any software updates on MAC

Click here to know how.

If the issue persists, try creating a new user account and try printing

Refer to this document to know how.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Kumar0307:

Thanks for the help.  My issue isn't resolved, but I did find that I could print a PDF that was on my computer, and also print from "Pages" app.  I"ll keep working on it.

Otto57

HP Recommended

My mistake.... able to print from "Numbers".

HP Recommended

Kumar0307:  After my last response, I tried to print the same documents that printed previously; neither one would print.  All of the steps that you suggested have been completed, with no success.  I hardwired the printer to a different wireless router, and connected wirelessly with the current modem/wireless router and still couldn't print.  I was able to set up wired printing; looks like that may be my only option.  If you have any more ideas, I'll try them.  Thanks.

Otto57

HP Recommended

@Otto57

Create a New user account to check if the issue is related to the current user account and try printing.

Refer to this document to know how.

If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

Reset the Printing System and add the printer.

1. Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences.

2. Click Printers & Scanners, Print & Scan, or Print & Fax.

3. Right-click (or Control + click) anywhere inside the Printers window, and then click Reset printing system.

Figure : Clicking Reset printing system

Image: Click Reset printing system
  4. Click Reset or OK.

5. If prompted, type your username and password, and then click OK.

The printing system resets.

6. Turn off the printer, wait 5 seconds, and then turn on the printer.

7. Wait until the printer is idle and silent.

8. In the Printers window on the Mac, click the Add button .

9. Select your printer from the list, and then click Add.

10. Click the Use or Print Using menu, select AirPrint in the pop-up menu. Then click Add.

11. Try printing.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.