Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 7640E
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)

I have never been able to send a scan from the printer to computer (by manually pressing scan/computer), so I have always used Paint to get a doc "from scanner or camera", which has worked flawless for many years. But today it says: unable to retrieve picture from device. Verify the device is properly connected and try again. 

After rebooting everything, and verifying I am able to print, copy and scan to a memory stick, I am still unable to get a scan using paint. 

AND the HP Print and Scan Doctor 5.1 "has stopped working", even when I attempt to open it from the HP site. 

side note: I had to update my hp instant ink account information last nite, which was expired. I doubt this would have caused an issue, but am having printer issues today none-the-less.  

I would appreciate any assistance with getting my scanner working properly.  Thank You !

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Issue resolved:  Restored computer to a week ago, am now able to retrieve from scanner using Paint.  This issue was particularly strange because it stopped working while retrieving 4 pages of documents, it retrieved 2 pages and then just stopped functioning.

HP Recommended

I am able to (almost always) use paint to scan a picture "File/From Scanner Camera/scan". I have figured out how to enable to Scan to computer, the problem is every time I want to scan to computer I have to "enable" it, and frequently during the project have to disable then enable again. I wish to make jpeg a default type at the printer, but have been unable to accomplish that. AND, I have to reset all the settings after I enable it for the file type, location, size, dpi, etc., Scanning to Computer is a daunting task for which I have to jump through many hoops to achieve. With due diligence it is possible, but it seems like a long way to go to make the scanner do what I want it to. 

HP Recommended

Hi! @thuck,

Did you encounter the error message while scanning?

Try the steps recommended below.

Uninstall the printer software the root level on your PC and install the full feature printer software.

In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features. 
Select your HP printer. 
Select Uninstall. 
In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers. 
In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.” 
Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo. 
Type printui.exe /s and click OK. 
Click on Drivers tab. 
Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom. 
Select OK. 
Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows. 
Close Devices and Printers. 

Update the full feature printer software using this link. Click Here

Once you have installed the software:

1. Click on the printer Icon (on your desktop) and it will bring up the HP Printer Assistant.
2. Under the Scan menu, there is a “Manage Scan to Computer”, click on that.
3. Make sure that you “Enable” Scan to Computer. Also, make sure the tab “Automatically start Scan to Computer when I log on to Windows” is checked if you want to make this feature permanent. 

Or you can use HP scan and capture app to scan to computer.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP scan and capture app. Click Here

Refer this article to know more information about scan to computer. Click Here

Please let me know the outcome!
Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you Apollo for your reply. The error message I receive at the printer is that scan to computer is disabled, which I have to open the control panel/devices and printers/hp printer assistant/manage scan to computer/fix (at this point it says HP print and scan doctor 5.1 has stopped working – so I Close the Program). I do make sure the automatically start scan to computer is checked. At that point the Scan to Computer usually works…for a while. Usually I have to disable it and enable it multiple times during a larger scanning project.

I sometimes get another error it pops up saying the device is in use, but I can just close that error.

Unfortunately I have already uninstalled and installed the software (multiple times) that is really daunting and I just dont have the energy to deal with setting my printer up yet again. AND your instructions are a bit technical for my (lack of) expertise.

Using the scan software on the computer is really time consuming, as is using paint, I use these for one or two scans only. With the Scan to computer I just keep hitting YES I have another scan and the project will go quickly…until I have to stop and start again.

It is working, as you can see (read), but yet again what a hassle to get it going. After all that is said and done, the scan to computer is a quick and efficient way to scan large projects, and I am oh so grateful when I get it working...Then I just start all over. 

HP Recommended

@thuck,

Let's try to update the printer firmware - 

If your printer connected wirelessly, make sure to temporary connect the device with USB and then follow the link to install the latest firmware update on your printer from our HP support website. Alternatively you can also try to update the printer firmware directly from the printer control panel.

For more details on how to update, please use this link: HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

Once done, restart the printer. 

Once done, let's try these steps: 

1. Search Windows for your printer model name, and click the printer name in the list of results. HP Printer Assistant opens. 
  2. Click Scanner Actions, and then click Manage Scan to Computer
  3. Click Enable to activate the scan to computer option.

Let me know the outcome!

Cheers 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.