2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unable to set up printer due to cartridge jam error

HP OfficeJet Pro 6970
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Seeking assistance in this matter.

I've been to trying to set up my printer HP 6970 without any success. I keep receiving a "cartridge jam error" and unable to proceed to the next step. I've checked to make sure there's no paper jamming the printer.  The printer cartridge cannot move. I've removed and re-installed the cartridges, but nothing doesn't seems to be working.  I don't know what else to do.

I'm beginning the think the printer is defective. This is the first time, I'm having problems setting a printer. Please advise.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

3 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16475 1323 2267
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@SAwin11

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you :) 

As I understand you have setup printer due to cartridge jam error,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Have you cleared the paper jam from the printer under the input tray & the ink cartridge access area?

Did you ensure the carriage can move freely?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

View the video on YouTube.

Step 1: Clear jammed paper from the printer

Paper jams can occur in multiple areas of the printer. If you cannot find the paper jam in one area, continue to the next area until the jam is located.

• Clear jammed paper from the input tray
  • Clear jammed paper from the ink cartridge access area

If you have checked and removed any jammed paper from each printer area and the error persists, continue to the next step.

Step 2: Make sure the carriage can move freely

Make sure the carriage moves freely across the width of the printer.

1. Turn on the printer, if it is not already on.

2. Open the cartridge access door.

Figure : Opening the ink cartridge access door

Opening the ink cartridge access door
  3. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before you continue.

4. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

5. Unplug the power cord from the power source or electrical outlet.

WARNING:

You must unplug the power cord to move the carriage by hand and reset the paper feed mechanism without the risk of electrical shock.

6. Use a flashlight to check for any paper or objects that might be restricting the carriage, and then remove any paper or objects that you find.

CAUTION:

If the paper tears when you remove it from the rollers, check the rollers and wheels for torn pieces of paper that might remain inside the printer. If pieces of paper remain in the printer, more paper jams can occur.

7. Reach inside the printer through the ink cartridge access door, and then manually move the carriage.

• If the carriage is stuck on the right side of the printer, move the carriage to the left side of the printer.

• If the carriage is stuck on the left side of the printer, move the carriage to the right side of the printer.

• If the carriage is stuck in the middle of the printer, move the carriage to the right side of the printer.

8. Remove any loose paper or obstructions found.

9. Make sure that the carriage can move freely across the width of the printer. Firmly push the carriage to the left side of the printer, and then push it to the right side.

10. Close the ink cartridge access door.

11. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

12. Plug the power cord back into the power source or electrical outlet.

13. Turn on the printer.

Try to print. If the error persists, continue to the next step.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
SAwin11 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Thanks for your response and helpful video. However, I wasn't able to get the carriage to move in the printer.  I had tried several times to clear and check everywhere possible paper jams. That being said, the printer is properly defective.  I ended up purchasing a CANON printer today, and was able to set it up with no problems.  I'm just going to donate the HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 to charity. Perhaps, someone else will have better succes with it than me.

Warm regards,

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16475 1323 2267
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@SAwin11

Thank you for responding,

I understand your concern and to help you out, 

I have escalated your concern to HP's Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options (if any). 

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding Holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 

Please send a Private Message, if you aren't contacted within 4-5 business days.  

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

And Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well, 

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation