Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp Easy Scan
macOS 10.15 Catalina

01-28-2020 UPDATE:  macOS Catalina 10.15.3 contains the fix for this issue.  Once the macOS is updated you can scan from the glass and ADF as normal.

Support document on web

When starting a scan job using HP Easy Scan in macOS 10.15, one of the following messages display on the computer or printer control panel:

• Automatic Document Feeder is Empty
  • Scan Unsuccessful
  • Preparing to scan

macOS Catalina does not currently support scanning with HP Easy Scan. Scan using Apple Image Capture as a workaround.

To scan using Image Capture:

1. Place the document or photo print side down on the scanner glass, and then close the scanner lid.

If your printer has an automatic document feeder (ADF), use it to scan multiple page documents at one time.

CAUTION:

Do not load photos in the ADF.

1. Open Finder 

, and then click Go in the top menu bar.
  2. Click Applications, and then double-click Image Capture.
  3. Click your printer name in the Devices or Shared list.

NOTE:

1. Click Show Details at the bottom of the screen.

A preview of the scan displays, and then change any of the following settings:

• Scan Mode: Select the scanning bed or automatic document feeder.
    • Kind: Set scan as color, black and white, or optimized for text only documents.
    • Resolution: Higher resolution produces better quality images by using more dots (pixels) per inch. Higher resolution increases the file size of the scan. Use a higher resolution for scans with graphics or items that require the best detail. If you are scanning black and white text, higher resolution is not necessary.
    • Size: Use a standard paper size or select the Use Custom Size option.
    • Scan to: Select the folder you want scans to save to or use the Mail option to attach the scan to an Apple Mail email message.
    • Name: Type a name for the saved scan file.
    • Format: Select the file type for the scan.

NOTE:

To save multiple page documents or multiple images into a single file, select the PDF or TIFF format, and then select the box next to Combine into single document. This feature is only available with these formats.

• Image Correction: Click the pop-up menu, and then select Manual to display color change options such as brightness and saturation.
  1. Click Scan.

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@IronBadger 

Hello,

I also confirm that macOS 10.15.3 solves the problem encountered with HP Easy Scan at the beginning of macOS 10.15 Catalina. The macOS version 10.15.3 is also available in France since yesterday the January 28, 2020.

Please update the MacOS as follows:

1. Click the Apple menu, then click System Preferences.
  2. Click on Software Update.
  3. Download and install the latest version of MacOS 10.15 on 10.15.3
  4. Then, try scanning with HP Easy Scan.

I tried with my HP ENVY Photo 7830 Printer (HP ENVY Photo 7800 series) and the scanning functionality from the printer's control panel and from the HP Easy Scan application works correctly.

Cordially,:Wink:

I'm not an HP employee. Did this message answer your question? Include it below as an Accept As Solution! Did you find this message useful?  Click on the thumbs up set to give a Compliment! Follow us on Facebook Assistance customers HP.

View solution in original post

182 REPLIES 182
HP Recommended

Wow... thank you IronBadger. Easy Scan was a nifty utility to keep my HP laser printer going... but I did not even know about Image Capture. Works very nicely. Kudos for posting a fix to a vexing problem.

HP Recommended

That's not a fix...it's a workaround. 

HP Recommended

Invoking a scan  from the computer works fine. You can use Image Capture or HP Easy Scan to invoke the scanner from the computer though.

I am used to putting documents in the printer for scanning and using the "Scan to computer" function.  This no long works under macOS 10.15.   I'm guessing that  a network communication error occurs when  the printer initiates the connection.  (This has happened in prior operating system releases.  It eventually gets found and corrected.)

I have an iMac running 10.13 and it works fine!  I can scan both ways.  Catalina 10.15 - not so much.

HP Recommended

I am sorry.  I should have mentioned that in the original post.  Scan to Computer will currently not work as well.  It is related to the same issue as HP Easy Scan in encountering.

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
HP Recommended

Indeed you are right.

Scan to computer does not work at all.

This has happened before and I am confident that the HP and Apple guys will figure it out.

In the mean time, I will scan to my older iMac running 10.13.

Thanks IronBadger!

HP Recommended

Come on HP - appreciate the workaround but its not a fix and you have known about the new update for ages and this is not great. when will it be sorted ?

HP Recommended

Image capture will no longer scan direct to mail.  Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

I suspectt that the problem is related to the "scan to computer" bug.

Hang tight Ochvit - They will fix it.  I had to wait a few weeks the last time this happened (about 3 years ago).

HP Recommended

I ran into this problem when I tried to scan from the flat bed after upgrading to Catalina. I get the

• Automatic Document Feeder is Empty

After trying several uninstall and reinstalls of HP Easy Start, I resorted to scanning from the scanner glass to a USB Thumbdrive and uploading to my Macs. I can scan from the document feeder with no problem to both my MacBook Pro and iMac. I can also send Scans to my MacBook Pro, but not my iMac from the document feeder but not the scanner glass

Thanks for the information on Image Capture.

Will there be some kind of announcement when this problem is fixed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.