Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Jumping in on this discussion. This has nothing to do with old machines, my LaserJet Pro MFP 277 is only 4 years and 4 months old. This is simply a driver problem/interface with Catalina > 10.13. My scanner was working fine until I upgraded  to macOS Catalina 10.15 in November. I just upgraded to 10.15.2 this morning and it's still not resolved. I poked around on the Apple site and couldn't find any helpful information. 

Bottom line the printer works fine but the scanner replys with error 23 or error 13 messages. And, the 10.15.2 works fine with my ancient hp 8600 scanner which I'm glad I kept.

HP Recommended

The printer/scanner doesn't show up under devices in Image Capture

HP Recommended

I have macOS Catalina 10.15.2 and I can see both printers/scanners (office jet pro 8600 - about 7 yrs old) and laserjet pro mfp M277- about 4 yrs old). I can see both units in Easy Scan and Image Capture. The 8600 works prefect to print or scan no issues. However, the M277 prints fine, but will NOT scan. Responds with "scanner error 23".

HP Recommended

Actually, I found that HP itsellf says the scanning issue isn't resolved.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06455960

(That being said, I figured out why ImageCapture wasn't seeing my printer. It sees it now, and I can scan, but it doesn't offer an OCR for text. The workaround is to save it as a JPG, then convert in Preview to PDF, then use a free online PDF > Word/text converter online. Not exactly an elegant solution.)

HP Recommended

Hi Niciwarner,

I'm glad to hear you took the time to speak with an HP representative. I'm glad they've said they are planning a fix, even though it won't be ready until January or February of next year. I wanted to know, did the representative mention how we are to know when this fix has been rolled out? Will HP EasyScan get a push update through the App Store? Will we be expected to download new drivers from HP's website and configure them ourselves. I feel this lack of detail about the alleged forthcoming fix is a clear indication that no timeline has actually been established, and HP is simply ignoring the problem.

-thedude66

HP Recommended

Thank you all for following up on this. I was getting crazy trying to get the scanner to work.

If you had to chose a new inexpensive printer-scanner that works with Catalina, what would you chose?

HP Recommended

Dear Mastenca---

Other than the scanning issue, I've loved my HP OfficejetPro 8600 because it takes extra-large (XL) ink cartridges that seem to last forever. Granted, I rarely print out in color, and usually use draft mode—which is just as dark as regular mode in B&W)—but it's been great in terms of ink use.

I've had some other minor nits with it, but mostly, I've been happy until the scanner issue.

HP Recommended

I solved my scanning issue by replacing my hp with a canon  mfp743 which functions well on 10.15

HP Recommended

When does HP expect to have the Office Pro 8600 compatible with Catalina? 

HP Recommended

I'm using macOS Catalina 10.15.2 and my 8600 scans without any issues using the Mac image capture application.

However, my color laserjet pro mfp M277 will not scan with with image capture or HP Easy scan.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.