Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

that seems to be the only option!

HP Recommended

Absolutely frightful service from HP and they know all about the problem

HP Recommended

Non HP seems the only way to go as if HP cared they would have done something about this

HP Recommended

Can someone confirm who's problem this really is? Is it Apple or HP? I can't find anything on Apple's web site like this HP string.

HP Recommended

PittJohn, the problem is both. Apple came out with its new operating system and presumably let developers like HP know about its new requirements. HP then dropped the ball. This often happens when a major upgrade of an operating system takes place—but rarely does it happen to a major vendor like Microsoft (which seemed to deal with Catalina just fine) or HP.  

So although Apple instigated the changes wiuth Catalina, HP failed to adequately test its scanning software with Catalina. While image capture works for general scanning, it doesn't provide optical character reading. See one of my previous emails for that workaround.

HP Recommended

Hi

When I got to speak to a rep FINALLY he was great and very helpful.  But, there were no firm timings given and when I asked when I would know that the new software was available he said I would have to keep checking back to the website, there would be no announcement or notification (ie no list of people like us who would receive an email).

I'm quite exasperated and feel terribly let down by Hp and will be buy-in another make of scanner in the January sales.

Regards

Nicola

HP Recommended

Nicola, 

FYI, I had this problem a YEAR ago when I tried up update my Mac OS. The result was the same. Now we hear of people that contact HP and get the same run around. I would interpret this answer you got from HP as " we don't care about current customers and we have no intention of publishing an update to this printer" 

This attitude is clear as a bell to me. We will NOT be buying anymore HP printers or scanners. As we ALL know, software and operating systems NEED to be periodically updated for a variety of reasons. If your printer manufacturer refuses to keep up with the times, that says a lot about them. 

Not sure if Brother does any better with driver updates, but I was a big fan of theirs for years. I guess I will have to look into them again. 

But this angers me so. I had to DOWNGRADE my OS which took about a DAY of my time so that I WOULD be able to scan to computer. I do this multiple times a day

Regards

David 

HP Recommended

After about 18 hrs on the phone with Apple trying to get Catalina to work properly and being unable to scan from my HP printer, I uninstalled Catalina and went back to Mojave. Scanning works well. The only annoyance is being reminded to update every day.

HP Recommended

This is not working on my computer.  A "scan" button does not appear on the Image Capture menu.  I have "Hide Details", "Overview", and "Cancel".  What gives?  I rave about HP products to friends and family.  I have two HP printers and a laptop.  You are usually amazingly responsive to these updates.  I have work to do!  Can't waste time on "work arounds" that don't work!  Just fix it!

HP Recommended

Another workaround is to go to your Mac systems preferences (shown under the Apple menu) > Printers and scanners. Then, make sure your HP printer is selected and has a green light in the left box (indicating that it's turned on and connected to your Mac), then click on "Scan" at the top right, then Open Scanner (this can take a minute while it opens, then you get something call "overview scan", then either delete what it autokmatically selected and hold your cursor down to select what you want (or accept its automatic boundaries), adjust the criteria on the right side of the screen, and click "Scan."

Again, the format doesn't allow OCR, but at leastyou can do JPEGS, TIFFs, and PDFs.

This is similar to what you'll see in Image Capture.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.