Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the idea, I tried this, green light is on, followed your instructions, but I get a "failed to open a session on the device" (-9921) error message.

HP Recommended

I would like to emphasize that Image Capture is only partially broken for some HP printer/scanner owners with the Catalina upgrade. My experience has been particularly frustrating because the overview and scan interface with the HP printer scanner still works, but the software fails to export any kind of file (JPEG, TIFF, PNG, PICT, PDF, etc.) I’m pretty sure this is Apple’s fault, but still wrong of HP not to fix Easy Scan.

1. When I open Image Capture, the overview scan completes successfully.

overview.png

2. After selecting scan options, and specifying output file name & location (multiple options attempted), I can hit the “Scan” button, and all seems to go well.

scanning.png

3. The scan finishes, but then the software hangs, and the file never appears in the scan results queue, or in the destination folder, the way it used to. No changes to file type/size/style/destination seem to help.

I would appreciate it if someone could confirm a similar experience using Image Capture.

HP Recommended

Dude66, confirming: Image Capture is only partially broken for some HP printer/scanner owners.

My HP 8600 scans fine with image capture and macOS Catalina 10.15.2, no issues at all.

My laserjet pro MFP M277 prints fine but the overview and scan interface will not connect to the scanner. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply PittJohn,

It sounds to me like Image Capture may be doing a better job of recognizing my Hewlett-Packard multifunction printer than it is yours. In my scenario, at least the software can communicate with the scanner, and actually performs scans. Where it breaks down is outputting the file. The whole interface is just woefully unstable, and under-supported.

To sustain my kvetching awhile longer, it just seems rediculous to me that HP printer drivers have largely universal support across operating systems, and yet scanning is this cumbersome oddball process that gets short shrift. Ok, I get it, scanning isn't as critical as printing to most users, but my printer has a scanner - it's multi-functional - and I bought it explicitly for that reason. How is that a second class feature that doesn't deserve first-rate support. I'm appalled.

HP Recommended

Another KVETCH After almost 3 months still nothing from HP to fix this function.  Amazingly bad support to its customers.  I don't get it. 

HP Recommended

There is a fix coming!  I agree the delay is frustrating.  But everything that can be done is being done to get this fix out to customers.

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
HP Recommended

No offense, but I’ll believe it when I see it. I’ve been waiting over a year. All I want to be able to do is to scan directly to my computer, which is simple as pie currently.  

As I have stated before, I updated my Mac iOS previously and was unable to scan to my computer. This is something I do multiple times a day. I ended up having to DOWNGRADE my OS back to the previous version so that I could scan to computer.

Don’t let anything be released that does not address this issue of scanning to Computer. Please.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reassurance, IronBadger. I believe in Christmas miracles!

HP Recommended

IronBadger, et al., I got the following notices from HP today. I updated the HP Easy Start version listed below and it had no benefit at all. I tried to update the printer driver in item 2 (HP LaserJet Pro Series Firmware Update Utility (ver 20191203) but the HP utility will connect to the printer, but NOT install the driver. I'm going to try a usb connection but looking for a cable...

Routine Driver Update - Dec 18 2019

HP Easy Start (ver 2.9.1.002)

Products: Printers and Multifunction, Scanners/Copiers/Faxes

Description: HP Easy Start is the new way to set up your HP printer and prepare your Mac for printing. HP Easy Start will locate and install the latest software for your printer and then guide you through printer setup.

Routine Firmware Update - Dec 16 2019

HP LaserJet Pro Series Firmware Update Utility (ver 20191203)

Products: HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277 series

Description: This utility is for use on Mac OS X Operating systems.

HP Recommended

My Colour LAser Jet Pro MFP M377

have the same old problem even after the

update from dec 18, 2019

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.