Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 6835
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have downloaded the most recent Full featured software for my Officejet Pro 6835 but when I install the software it will only install the basic software rather than the full featured.  I have downloaded the software several times thinking the download was bad but I keep having the same problem.  Thank you.

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

@Scrappingrma & Gizasmum

Thank you for choosing the HP Support Forums, a community energized by solutions, as we are eager to help resolve your concerns,

I am Riddle_Decipher and I'm at your service (Like a Genie, however, without magic powers) 😉

Does the copier work fine as a stand-alone device?

please try the below steps to resolve the issue:

• Press "Windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services - Go to "Print spooler" - Right-click and "Stop" the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type "spool" and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:
  • First, unplug the USB cable from the printer, if present. 
  • Go to Control panel - Programs and feature - Select all the HP printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel - Devices and printer - Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type - "c:/programdata" - Go to the Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.

Then, use this link to access the HP website, find the drivers compatible with your windows and install it: CLICK HERE

If the issue persists, please go ahead and install the Windows built-in drivers: 

If a full feature driver from HP is not available for your printer, you must install the built-in print driver. A full feature driver for one or more Windows versions is not available for your printer, either from the CD that shipped with your printer or from the HP website.

NOTE:

Where is the download button? The HP print driver is built into the Windows operating system or is installed through the Windows Update feature on your computer. You do not need to download anything from a website in order to print, scan, or fax.

See the Frequently asked questions in this document for additional information, including how to scan using this driver.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Let me know how that pans out

I will have a colleague follow-up on this to ensure it's taken care off,

as I need to know if the issue has been resolved, to get proper sleep at night.

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon,

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' as it would help the community gain more knowledge, and have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

Thanks Riddle_Decipher. I won't be able to access my PC until tomorrow, so will try your solution then. 

I have a Photosmart 6510, but am experiencing just the same issue as the OP. I wouldn't imagine this will make any major difference to your instructions, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Both my PCs have the latest version of Windows 10 and both are connected wirelessly. I also print to it from an Android phone and an iPad Pro. I have an old HP DV8-1250 Windows laptop which uses the full feature software no problem. However it is the much newer HP Envy Phoenix 860 desktop that will only install the basic driver, despite the full feature driver being downloaded. The Envy can print OK and I can scan from the PC, but I cannot scan from the printer to it.

HP Recommended

@Nalasmum

Thank you for responding,

This is the Riddle_Decipher, again!

I recommend you check the steps 7 & 8 once you've done the below steps:

Restarting the computer and printer can restore the lost scan connection.

1. Turn off the printer.

2. Make sure the printer power cord connects directly to an electrical outlet and not through a surge protector or power strip.

3. Close all running programs on your computer, and then shut down the computer.

4. Turn on the printer.

5. Turn on the computer.

6. Search Windows for your printer model name, and then click the printer name in the list of results.

• If HP Printer Assistant opens, click Scan a Document or Photo or Manage Scan to Computer, and then make sure the checkbox is selected next to Automatically start Scan to Computer when I log onto Windows.

• If HP Solution Center opens, click Scan Settings to view scan connection status, settings, and preferences.

• If your printer name is not in the results, skip to the step to install the HP software for your printer.

7. Try to scan.

If the error persists, continue to the next step using the attached link.

Keep us posted, 

(We shall troubleshoot as a team, fight till the end and emerge - "victorious")

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Feel free to give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" button.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle_Decipher, thanks for the additional info. However, your reply didn't include a Step 8. Can you advise instructions for that please.

Unfortunately I didn't get on the PC today to try your suggestions. I was just too busy. I will try to get on it tomorrow. 

HP Recommended

@Nalasmum

Thank you for responding,

This is the Riddle_Decipher, again!

I've updated the post with the link, I'm not sure why it didn't work the first time,

Nevertheless, here's the link for your reference: Click here

Keep us posted, 

(We shall troubleshoot as a team, fight till the end and emerge - "victorious")

Feel free to give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle_Decipher. Apologies for not getting back to you earllier as promised. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get on the PC fast enough, as my husband was always in the chair! Unfortunately also, despite followinng your instructions to the letter this didn't solve my problem.

At step 6 this only listed web results. So I, once again, downloaded the full feature software. When I tried to install this once again only the basic software was installed. I can print OK and can scan from the PC. However, I am still unable to scan from the printer to the PC.

I reran the Print & Scan Doctor for the umpteenth time. Again it tells me that I don't have the full feature software. I already know this to be the case, as thats the crux of my issue! When I click the button to install the full software ... and so it goes, n and on and on... 😞

Ive attached a screendump below.

i also followed step 8, but am no further forward. I've just wasted hours and hours trying to get this sorted. Is there anything else that I can try?

Printer software message.JPG

HP Recommended

@Nalasmum

Thank you for replying with this detailed response,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

The best alternative to this concern is to use the HP Smart App to scan from the printer to the PC:

Step 1: Install the HP Smart app

Install the HP Smart app, and then add your printer.

On your Windows 10 device, go to HP Smart (in English) to get the app from the Windows Store, and then follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the app.

The app searches for printers connected to the network.

• If you have one printer connected to the network, the app automatically selects your printer. If you have more than one printer on the network, click the printer icon, click Select a Different Printer, and then select your printer from the list.

Selecting a printer

• If you are setting up a new printer on the network, click the plus sign , click Set up a new printer, and then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup. If you have more than one printer on the network and want to set up a new printer, click the plus sign , click Add printer not listed, click Set up a new printer, and then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE & SKIP TO STEP 2 ONWARD.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep us posted, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle_Decipher. Thanks for this, but unfortunately it doesn’t help me as it's what I'm currently already doing in order to scan to this relatively new and expensive HP desktop. I want to be able to go to my printer and scan directly from it to this PC, just as I can to my ancient old HP laptop. It would appear however that this is impossible and I have exhausted all avenues. I cannot believe that HP don’t have a solution to this issue. The full feature software driver states that it is suitable for Windows 10, when it clearly isn’t fit for purpose. I’m obviously disappointed that I can’t use my printer fully, but I’ll just have to put up with this inconvenience in the hope that HP might come up with a solution. Thanks for trying to help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.